Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

My 580E wont start. I get a click from the relays once then…

My 580E wont start...

My 580E wont start. I get a click from the relays once then nothing. The battery is charged.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I will have to find the file, I will get back to you, thanks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, it is a case 580K, serial # FH12823JF. I have checked the battery, and connections, all good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

It has been starting good for quite a long time, but the last time i started it was a little slow starting,it has sat a week since them.

3/11/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

Hi, what else should I check?

Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery voltage? Check it before trying to start, and while trying the start function. Voltage before should be over 12.5 volts and not drop below 8 volts when turned to start. Are the cables clean and tight at the battery and the ground to the frame and positive to the starter solenoid?

the battery is fully charged, still have the same results if I jump it. It had been starting good.

Will it spin the engine, if you go direct to the starter solenoid and jump from cable terminal to the switch terminal?

I haven't tried that yet.

OK> that is quick test of the battery, cables, and starter and solenoid.

I will go try that now
Nothing happens jumping the solenoid, when I try the key, I get one click sound from the relays, then nothing.

What is voltage at the starter? If you have 12 volts at the starter. the starter or solenoid may be bad.

I do have 12V at the starter.

Then I suspect you have a bad starter.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Thank you,I will check that.

Thank you.