Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 1990 gmc topkick with a 3116 engine. The truck

starts up fine when cold...
I have a 1990 gmc topkick with a 3116 engine. The truck starts up fine when cold. After a few minutes an alarm starts buzzing then it will die. It will then immediately restart, the alarm comes back and then it will die again. It will continue doing this over and over. It is a 1990 gmc topkick with a 3116 engine
3/11/2018
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
There are two things I have seen cause this.
First is a low oil pressure problem. It could be a bad sensor or really a low oil pressure problem.
Second is a low coolant level problem. It too can be a bad sensor or low level.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
is there a way to test the oil pressure sensor? the gauge in the truck shows good oil pressure
I would first want to install a psi gauge in the block to make sure the oil pressure is good. If it is. You should be able to unplug or use a jumper wire to bypass the sensor. It depends on if it’s a normally open or closed sensor.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
does this truck have an obd connection or a way to recover codes
No. 1990 model 3116 is a mechanical engine. The electronic 3116 came out in 1994.
where would the low coolant sensor be located? there are two sensors on the connection coming out of the top of the motor, is it one of them or somewhere else
Not all trucks have a low level sensor. But most do. If yours does. It will be near the rad cap fill.
ok thanks. there is a light showing low coolant that comes on at start up but it does not stay on. so it must have one and seems to be working but i will investigate some more
10-4. Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert