Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

20 amp fuse shoots, tractor engine shuts down. Holding key…

20 amp fuse shoots...

20 amp fuse shoots, tractor engine shuts down. Holding key keeps the engine running. Could this be the electro magnet on the fuel injection pump?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

It is a tt75, I don’t have the sn with me.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

All I have done is installing new fuses and trying to trace the wire. I was hoping to fix it myself.

3/10/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

I don't find pictures of the fuel solenoid. The typical fuel solenoid uses two power wires, one is powered as soon as the key is turned on and the other when the key is in the start position. Sounds like yours has no power from the key. The solenoid (electromagnet) can be shorted, causing the fuse to blow.

I guess I will pull this electro magnet and see if I can figure out what is shorting out.

If it has battery voltage to it with the key on and does not stay retracted, the solenoid is bad.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician