Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

My computer with my cat manuals has crashed, I'm looking for…

Hello, My computer with my cat...
My computer with my cat manuals has crashed, I'm looking for some assistance. I need torque specs and procedures for timing and installing the over head on a C-15 acert engine.
Serial #NXS27388 2006 model year
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
I can get you the info you need. Be back in a few minutes.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, thanks for your help
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. That definitely covers most of the info I'm looking for.
Here is were im at, I didnt disasemble any of the front cover gears except for the camshaft gear. I have the pin in the flywheel and number one at TDC. i trying to figure out how to time the camshaft with the pistons. I see the stamped marks on the gears but im just trying to verify which ***** *****nes up with which gear. Im not sure what the procedure is called on a cat, i work mostly on cummins and we call it base timing.
thanks

You are very welcome my friend. I am happy to help.

With a pin in the flywheel, the pistons are at TDC. There is a timing mark on the Cam gear. It lines up with the mark on the front cover at 12 oclock. See number 1 in this image.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b20ps2yr46mt6y0/Cam%20gear%20timing.PDF?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the mark is on the gear cover right? it looks like a point on the very top of the outside of the cover?
that's what I thought, I just wanted to be 100% sure.
that’s correct. The notch is on the front cover. Looks like a point.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok great, that is the info I was looking for.
thank you
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
Cat Man
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert