Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have an ASV 4810 with low hydraulic oil pressure. I am…

I have an ASV...

I have an ASV 4810 with low hydraulic oil pressure. I am trying to learn how to bleed its hydraulic system to see if that solves the problem. Not a lot of info in the web.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I intend to, but my motto is "First do no harm." I don't want to delve into a hydraulic system with guesses. Also, if there is no way to bleed it, I don't want to go through all the work to discover this fact.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Tell the mechanic: "Assume this guy knows next to nothing about the machine he's working on." He cannot possibly "talk down" to me.

3/10/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

The ASV is a self-bleeding system, and unless it is sucking air, there will be no air in the system to cause low pressure. Pressure is the function of the pump and the system relief valve. How many hours on the unit, and did it fail all at once or get slower over time? A slowing over time is usually a bad hydraulic pump.

About 1800 +/- hours.
Slowly over time. What I've noticed is the pressure gauge shows lower pressure as the machine warms up (30 mins of operation) and it slows down. It's most notable when moving from spot to spot, I don't do work with it that really tests the lifting capacity all that often.How hard is it to change the pump? Other things to look for when I have the case open? I have experience on cars and trucks, next to none with hydraulic systems (beyond automotive brakes and such).

On the unit, the hydraulic pump is just bolted on, the hoses have to be removed, and the pump slipped back. New oil and filter should be installed with the new pump. From the sound of it, slowing and less pressure after warmup, are classic signs of a weak pump.

That sounds do-able; the hardest work will be taking the cab apart to get at the system below the floor plate. Do you know where I can get an actual shop service manual for this machine? All I can find on the web are operator's and parts manuals, and those are pretty thin for repair content.

ASV manuals only from the dealer, but parts book should be all that is really needed.

I've gone over the parts diagrams and found two "gear pumps," one of which is attached to the transmission, the other seems to be attached to the diesel engine. Either one runs about $1,800, so it's an expensive gamble to replace the one that isn't failing. Is there a way to know which is the culprit (or both)?

The one driven off the gear train on the front of the engine is the hyd pump for the boom/bucket. The other is the transmission pump

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician