Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 1998 school bus with a t444e in it. This morning my…

I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 school bus with a t444e in it. This morning my brake pressure was slow to build. i drove it about 10 minutes and then stopped and it was idling. the air pressure dropped, but not all the way. i have had a small leak in the secondary air system and usually i hear air escaping when i turn off the engine, but now there is no hissing and the pressure is holding - 70 lbs on primary and 50 lbs on the secondary.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

1998 international with a t444e 7.3 diesel

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi. It's been 30 minutes. Just checking...
3/10/2018
Daniel Wilson
Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Professionals are employees of the site so I login periodically throughout the day and as time allows in between jobs Etc. For your ear system you will want to check the mainline out of the compressor and if you have an air dryer on your truck you were going to want to check to see if you have a plugged Air Dryer and for leaks at any of the exhaust ports of the air dryer and brake system valves. Check for leaks at the break canisters as well. With the wheels chalked and with the brakes released see if it makes a difference on that leak as the leak can be in one of the brake cans or brake release valves. Also drain all your air tanks and look for restrictions at the fittings and check valves going into the tanks. If you live in a salt area check the air tanks to for some rot which might cause some fine leaks at rotted areas on the air tanks which in cases are hard to find if it's not a large leak. Using soapy water solution in a spray bottle is always still a good source to use to check for leaks. Once you have confirmed no leaks or restrictions in the system you will then want to be sure that the compressor and Governor are building full pressure and if not you would first check the governor and secondly the possible compressor or Maine discharge line which will only Leak with the engine running so it will be difficult to hear the leak with the engine running. If you have water or moisture in the tanks and it is at freezing temperatures there is also a possibility for ice in the system so consider that as well. If the system is I stop you will want to use a portable torpedo heater to warm up the air tanks with the drains opened to allow them to Thaw. Let me know the results and please remember to take a moment to write my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated
Daniel Wilson
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Daniel - thanks for getting back to me and for offering your insights. I apologize for the impatience. The site estimated a response in 8 minutes. I'd say that Justanswer missed it this time! Since posting my question I was able to talk with a local mechanic, who walked me through troubleshooting and was able to determine that the compressor itself is toast. I plan to replace it myself as soon as I can locate one. Any insights you may have that could help me would be appreciated, as this will be my first air compressor replacement. Thanks again.
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson