Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2008 Freightliner m2 106 otg Cummins engine. A few…

I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 Freightliner m2 106 otg Cummins engine. A few weeks ago I was getting the engine protect light come on and would debate the engine and shut down. Hooked up to the computer and the garage and it showed the crankcase sensor and filter. I had bothe sensor and filter replaced at that time. Truck has been working perfect up until yesterday when the same issue occurred. Parked the truck for over an hour before the truck would restart. When I finally was able to get the truck going, it hasn’t happened since. What would you suspect?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Okay.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

The truck isn’t consistent with doing regens, check engine light is constantly coming on and off, as well, I always have to do parked regens, never at highway speeds like it suggest.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That should say “with a Cummins engine” not “otg” and “derate” not “debate”
3/10/2018
roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

lets back up. what are the codes that were set???

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The main dash where it reads the odometer, is showing ecu128
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
bare with me, I’m no mechanic lol...

ok, that means it is engine. the code would be after that.

no worries

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m assuming you’ll need the code after that to be of assists to me? Haha by explaining the issue would that be any help?

correct. that way, the truck will talk to us and help tell us the issue.

the protect light comes on for several reasons. lots of guesses and expensive to guess

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Expensive is an understatement at this point lol. Thousands of dollars spent into this truck over the past few months. Up and gone like a fart in the wind haha
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I can contact you after, I’ll go over to the truck and get the code.

ok, I will be here.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Awesome Roy, thank you. My first time using this site.

your welcome

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey Roy, went over to the truck and no codes showing at all now. This truck is possessed I think lol. Has a mind of its own. Check engine light comes on and goes off every couple of minutes

ok, I guess you donr have a laptop.

Check the coolant level and the oil level.

make sure all fluids are topped off.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t have a laptop with the codes, not on me. My buddy has one that can show me the codes, but not until Monday. I’ll check the coolant levels too. Thanks

ok, Monday is fine as well.

Roy

roybelding
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good day Roy... I’ve got the codes from my truck.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
51d 324
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fail 00

let me check

The code is for DPF pressure too high. When was the last time you had the DPF cleaned or changed?? sounds like it is clogged

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ve never had the filter changed. The truck usually does a “burn off” daily when the filter reaches capacity. To be honest, I didn’t think the filter had to be changed.

yep, needs to be cleaned and inspected to be sure it is cracked or damaged from the regen process.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thanks Roy for your services. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

your welcome

roybelding
roybelding