Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Clarke forklift mitsubishi engine no spark new coil resistor…

Customer Question
Clarke forklift mitsubishi engine...

Clarke forklift mitsubishi engine no spark new coil resistor and module 12 volts on both side of coil

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

GPX25 E SERIAL NO. GPX230-0232-9365FB

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

YES I AM. 42 YEARS AUTOMOTIVE BACKROUND. AND THIS HAS ME PUZZLED

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

I THINK THATS IT

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

Distributor engine? Is the distributor shaft turning? This is a timing belt engine or a chain? Did you change the module in the distributor?

Shaft is turning. Does have a timing belt. Yes l did change the module.
Can l call you tomorrow when I'm back at the shop

OK> I will be around tomorrow,

Gd morning Curtis. I am at the shop and ready to attack this forklift. If you want me to call you let me know. tks. frank

Sorry, honey do list this AM. Back home now. Do you get an impulse signal coming from the distributor module when cranking, using a volt/ohm meter to test, on low voltage scale? Is there a separate igniter, or all in the distributor and coil? And you have the correct electronic ignition coil?

Good morning I would like to get going on this forklift repair please e-mail me with what you would like to further know.

Do you get an impulse signal coming from the distributor module when cranking, using a volt/ohm meter to test, on low voltage scale? Is there a separate igniter, or all in the distributor and coil? And you have the correct electronic ignition coil?

From the beginning. Distributor was replaced and came with a new module. Still had no spark. The guy I work with decided to change the ignition coil and resistor. Now its my problem. The forklift in the beginning was loosing spark. I believe my guy had the wire from the distributor to the coil on the wrong side he put it on the plus side of the coil. I reversed the wire on the coil and had it running but died due to loss of spark. I did change the module in the distributor for fear it may have shorted out. This where I'm at.

Using volt/ohm meter . unplug the wires from distributor to coil and with meter on low voltage, crank and see if you get any voltage pulse from the distributor side.

As per your request I hooked the meter on the distributor wires and got a reading of .785 voltage. Not even 1 volt.

Does it pulsate when cranking?

no
I took both wires off the module and measured that voltage. ya cant have a pulse if there disconnected and im reading those wires

OK, I think the module is bad, but I will opt out and see if anyone else will respond. Sorry.

Good Morning. I would like to know if I am going to receive any help today on the repair of my forklift.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. Let me see if I have the manuals for this forklift first

Thank You any information you have I appreciate
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

What is the engine model info as well?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Mitsubishi 4G64 ?

Its a 2.6 mitsubishi engine electronic ignition. 2 post module in dist. no other markings
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Click on this link and let me know if they match your engine.

Service info

its a 4G6 1993 engine
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Okay perfect. Verify the distributor is okay and grounding to fire the coil and also confirm your timing is in spec as well. The crank sensor in the distributor can be at fault or a failed distributor if the coil and module are good.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

the procedures are in the manuals I posted. Let me know.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Hi Dan thank you for the phone call. I swapped out the rebuilt dist with the old one and put a new module in the old one. I just noticed that when I hold the coil wire close to ground as to check spark I get a spark when I first turn the key on and when I turn the key off only. I know what this is but for the life of me I cant remember. Your thoughts
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Thanks for the update. The coil is commanded to fire when grounded which is done in time through the distributor in time so if you can get the coil to fire that way there is something going on in the distributor. There should be a crank sensor in the distributor as shown in the manual. Maybe the distributor is not making ground but seems odd both would act the same unless both are bad.

Good Morning Dan, I put the rebuilt dist. back in and checked to make sure all wires are in there proper place. I set the air gap according to specs. Did not get spark. Opened the air gap and got good spark from the coil wire when I grounded it. Put coil in cap no spark. Reset the air gap opened it up a little. Checked the spark at the coil wire again but this time plenty of spark but when I let go of the key from cranking the coil wire kept arching. I know I'm close any thoughts on this.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago
Thanks for the update. In order for that coil to spark there has to be both power and ground and when it fires it is grounded in time... Sounds like something's going on with both distributors possibly. Is there a shop that has a distributor test bench near you?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Dan I am sorry I did not get back to you sooner. Finally got another dist. I now have spark going to the plugs. It did run for a second and died. I hit with ether and it fired up but died as soon as I let go of the ignition switch. I started to play with the switch and found if I did not turn it all the way it would run but the starter was still engaged. I did try a switch but the same thing. I'm close but still can't pin it down. I have seen this before but can't remember the solution. If you can help some more i would like that. Thanks
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago
Thank you for the update. Is this lift running off of gasoline or is it an LP conversion? Verify you have good fuel supply with no leaks or restrictions. Also be sure that the timing checks out okay and you have good compression. If it runs off of starting fluid then I would have to say the problem is more fuel-related at this point. Let me know.
did a compression test 150 across the board. check timing marks on the money it only fires the ether once then will not fire again i am leaning towards the ignition coil even though its new but todays parts cannot be trusted. Thoughts
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago
Is this LP or gas carbureted model? I thought that you have consistent spark now? If there is consistent spark then check the fuel system.