Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

How do I adjust valves on newholland lx 885 Skidsteer? How…

Customer Question
How do I adjust...

How do I adjust valves on newholland lx 885 Skidsteer ? How do I know when to check Clarence

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Don’t know serial number? I will have to go see if I can find it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had the head shaved and new head gasket just need to set valves now

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

I set them but when I turn over engine they seem to change a little

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/9/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

Set valves one at a time on one cylinder. Tur the engine until one valve is open (down) set the one that is up, and it should be loose. Set to the proper gap. Then turn the engine until the valve you just set is down (open) and then set the opposite valve. That will get both valves on that cylinder set. Then move on to the next cylinder. It does not matter which one you start with, as long as you get all four cylinders set This will work with this Subaru engine as well as any other engine. No need to find TDC or worry about which valve is open or closed.