Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Why Does my Diesel go to the oil on my Cummins n14

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/9/2018
Technician: Don, Journeyman replied 1 month ago
Don
Don, Journeyman

Good morning my name is don

I will try to help you on this

in the N14 it is rare that the seal in the fuel pump leaks but it is known to happen

in your case from what you explained that is what your problem is

you will have to replace the pump or have a new seal put in

Have a great day

Don

Please

Rate my service by using the stars at the top of the page.

Just Answer can only compensate me for my time and resources after feedback rating thus rating is required Many thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about the injectors how possible is for us to go through there ? I will be working on it today and I will let you know thanks for your help
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
O rings on injectors * I just changed the oil yesterday and I left it turned on for about a hour and checked the dipstick and it went up about half or 3/4 of a inch more on the dipstick

Hi there

heres a way to find out for sure

Here is the way i do them and a dealer will do same thing. Get some oil or fuel dye from cummins and put half a bottle to 5 gal of fuel in a bucket. Install the pick up line to the fuel filter in the bucket of fuel and this should be done when hot. Run for maybe 2 or 3 min. full throdle and shut down. pull valve covers and then black lite the injectors.This should be done after you make sure the weep hole on the fuel pump is not wet with fuel or stopped up with dirt.With valve covers off lock around at the senold as well as injector body o/rings and this should show you your leak. You have to look close with the jakes on it.If you dont see it then plug the return line to the tank and then take the supply line off to the head from the pump. With and hand pump put about 100 or little less fuel pressure with dye in the fuel from the bucket and let set for about 10 mins.Bleed out the old fuel from the head so dye can run thru the injectors and you would bleed the fuel at the return line.Then black lite it.Any thing else is a guess. I have seen guys look at the injectors when running and look some more with no luck. Here is the way to look at it. 15 % fuel is a lot of fuel but that may not be but a drop ever 5 mins. Can you find a fuel leak that small when running with oil on all the parts.If it was filling crank case in a day or so then you mite find it by looking at it while running.When you pressure the injectors with engine dead it is common to find a small amount of fuel leakage around the plunger and injector body.This joint is only a class a fit meaning it seals its self when running with fuel and a close fit.

Hi there Just checking to see if you got the message

Don

Please

hello did you get my message

Please use the star rating system at top of page so I get credit from the web site for my time,
You may still ask follow up questions at no extra charge after rating.
Thank you

Don
Don
Don, Journeyman