Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a Eaton RT00-14613P in a 1997 Grove crane that wont…

I have a Eaton RT00-14613P...
I have a Eaton RT00-14613P in a 1997 Grove crane that wont shift into low range. Been having problems with high-range sometimes too
3/9/2018
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

If you're having problems shifting between high and low range the first thing you were going to want to check is the air pressure and regulator filter at the rear section to be sure that you have good air pressure and no restrictions or leaks. If that checks okay and you have good air pressure and the transmission will shift both between high and low with a firm shift that you can hear it clunk in both directions you will want to service the transmission and inspect the drain oil for signs of metal that would possibly indicate a synchronizer issue. A Worn synchronizer and synchronizer drive gear can cause this type of problem if you have confirmed that the air shifting circuit is okay. Usually a synchronizer problem we'll produce metal in the transmission and you will find it in the drain oil and on the magnetic plug. Let me know the results and if we need to dig deeper into this. Please remember to write my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Hi Dan, I checked and cleaned the filter/regulator housing the other day and it appears to be getting the correct pressure. However, when shifting between high/low range, the transmission will not clunk into low. Sometimes it wont do it in high either. I even took the shift piston out of the transmission and cleaned and lubed it.

Try shifting manually with a rubber tipped blow gun right to the range shift port.

See if it will shift with shop air and a blow gun in both directions. This will isolate an internal problem or an air shift problem.

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Hi Dan, I'm so sorry its taken so long to reply, I've been busy with other projects. I just got around to working on this again today and I'm still not having any luck. I've replaced the Air Filter/Regulator, and also rebuilt the slave valve, still nothing

thanks for the update. Will it shift with a rubber tipped blow gun direct at the ports?

Ok, just got done with my testing. With the hoses disconnected from the slave valve, it will only shift into high range, not low range.

The hoses I meant to disconnect are the Hi/Low range shift cylinder piston directly. Charge the ports with air one at a time.

Thats what I did, sorry I wasnt clear.
When you try to shift a low range does the port pressure rise or does it sound like it's leaking internally? If it pressure Rises but doesn't shift that's an indication of an internal problem in the back section. See if maybe you can remove the rear cover and try to manually move the shift Fork and if not you can drain the transmission and remove the rear section or drain the transmission and if it has a lot of metal or signs of metal indicating a problem you can pull the whole transmission if it's high mileage as it's not worth rebuilding just a back Exhilarate section on a high mileage transmission because you're usually just asking for trouble at that point because the contamination from the axillary section gets into the Bearings in the main box if found.

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Daniel Wilson
Hello Dan, yes we finally got it resolved. We ended up lifting the transmission out of the crane and sending it off for a complete rebuild. It turned out to be the syncronizer gear for the hi/lo range shift. Thank you so much for your help!