Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2009 Freightliner AL3186 left turn signal burns, but does…

2009 Freightliner AL3186 left...

2009 Freightliner AL3186 left turn signal burns, but does not flash.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cascadia.....last 6 of the VIN is AL3186

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced the bulb receptical

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello?
3/9/2018
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. What is do you have logged in the dash display for SAM chassis fault codes. This truck will log codes for so much as a dome light out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not at the truck right now......it has worked intermittently for the last few weeks, then I looked at the recepticle and saw that it had a burnt pin so I replaced that yesterday. Now the light burns, but doesn't flash. I was thinking it was the relay, but I don't know which one or where it is. Im familiar with the SAM chassis box and SAM cab box.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no thank you. I really just want to know where the relay is

The turns and lighting circuit are controlled by the SAM module..... Click below for the pinout.

Service info

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, already had that off of the internet. Could you please tell me which one is the SAM module?

There are two sam modules SAM Chassis ECU
SAM - Cabin ECU

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, I guess I'm asking the wrong questions or asking them in the wrong way. Here's what I'm looking for.........
"If it were me, I'd start in the cab box. It will be a square relay marked X8. Pull it out, replace it. If that doesn't work, go the the SAM chassis box and pull out R17 and replace that. You should be good to go by then. If not, take it to a shop"
This truck is all Multiplexed electrical. What that means is all of the lighting circuits and cab and Chassis circuits are all programmed in to the Sam modules . The transmission TCM in the engine MCM are all communicating together. For the cab and Chassis circuits all of the switch inputs are programmed into the Sam module as well as the outputs to the lighting circuits and other circuits such as the HVAC Etc. Freightliner holds exclusive rights to the software to program this module and to check switch status and monitor parameters. As far as troubleshooting outside of the software and programming in the modules we can test the wiring and the switches as well as the Bulbs Etc. However that's what we are limited to if it gets into a problem with one of the Sam inputs or outputs because that programming has to be done using the Freightliner software.
I do have some manuals and schematics for this model I could offer and file-sharing for an additional service however as you suspected if it is beyond the wiring harness bulbs or switches it would have to go to the dealer for anything related with the Sam module unfortunately
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, so there's no simply replace the bad relay or fuse?
Check all of your bulbs and make sure all of the grounds check good and there are no corroded or damaged wiring or Connections in the turn signal circuit. Using a voltmeter test your inputs and outputs at the Sam module for the turn signal circuit
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, out of my scope. Thanks anyway
There are relays on the Sam cab look behind the glove box and try swapping out those relays with a known good one one at a time for testing purposes as yes it could be one of those relays
The relays are on the Sam module
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there ya go.......dang, that's what I was looking for 3 hours ago. Thank you
If the relays don't correct it and you don't find anything with the wiring such as a short or damaged wiring or a bulb that is out or making bad connection in the socket then it will be getting into the Sam module. The module will shut down a circuit if a short or problem in the wiring is noted so keep that in mind. If one of the relays is sticking it can also cause it not to flash... It's a pleasure to help please remember to take a moment and write my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated. We can follow up as needed on here
Daniel Wilson
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok....thanks again

Pleasure to help.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson