Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Howtochangeout evaporator core on a 2003freightliner

Customer Question
Howtochangeout evaporator core on...

Howtochangeout evaporator core on a 2003freightliner coulimbia

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Vin 1fuja6cv83ll99070

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/8/2018
Technician: roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks replied 4 months ago
roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

procedure

83.04.120 Evaporator Replacement

Replacement

1.

Turn off the engine, apply the parking brakes, and chock the tires.

2.

Disconnect the batteries.

3.

Recover the refrigerant from the air conditioning system. For instructions, see Subject 220 .

4.

Remove the dash panels listed below. See Fig. 1 . For instructions, see Section 60.08 .

electrical cover

upper dash cover

heater and air conditioner cover

waste bin

console cover

dash trim cap

upper dash assembly, center panel

• 1. Steering Column Cover
  • 2. Left-Side Upper Dash Assembly
  • 3. Dash Trim Cap
  • 4. Upper Dash Assembly, Center Panel
  • 5. Electrical Cover
  • 6. Right-Side Upper Dash Assembly
  • 7. Upper Dash Cover
  • 8. Heater and Air Conditioner Cover
  • 9. Waste Bin Outer Wall
  • 10. Console Cover
  • 11. HVAC/Radio Trim Plate
  • 12. Auxiliary Gauge Panel

Fig. 1, Columbia Dash Panels

5.

Remove the tie straps on the wiring harness as needed to access the evaporator.

6.

Disconnect the electrical connector from the evaporator temperature sensor. See Fig. 2 .

• 1. Evaporator Service Cover
  • 2. Evaporator Temperature Sensor

Fig. 2, Evaporator Service Cover

7.

Remove the capscrews that attach the evaporator service cover to the HVAC assembly.

8.

Remove the air cleaner. For instructions, see Section 09.01 .

9.

Remove the expansion valve and refrigerant lines. See Fig. 3 .

9.1

Remove the capscrew that attaches the lower retaining plate and the refrigerant lines to the expansion valve. Remove the refrigerant lines and the retaining plate. Remove and discard the Mini Stat-O-Seals and quickly cap the lines.

IMPORTANT: Under no circumstances should the refrigerant lines remain uncapped for longer than five minutes. Water and dirt can damage the refrigerant system. Do not blow shop air through refrigerant lines since shop air is wet (humid).

9.2

Remove the capscrews that attach the upper retaining plate and the expansion valve to the evaporator refrigerant lines. Remove the retaining plate and the expansion valve. Remove and discard the Mini Stat-O-Seals.

• 1. Upper Retaining Plate
  • 2. Expansion Valve
  • 3. Lower Retaining Plate
  • 4. Plate
  • 5. Refrigerant Line

Fig. 3, Expansion Valve

10.

Remove and set aside the no-drip tape from around the evaporator refrigerant lines at the plate. See Fig. 4 .

11.

Remove the capscrews that attach the plate that fits around the evaporator refrigerant lines to the frontwall. Remove the plate.

• 1. No-Drip Tape
  • 2. Plate

Fig. 4, Plate

12.

From inside the cab, remove the evaporator.

13.

Install a new evaporator in the HVAC assembly. Press firmly on the evaporator until it makes contact with the far wall of the HVAC assembly.

NOTE: Make sure that the string seal is in the groove on the lower portion of the evaporator service cover before installing the service cover.

14.

Using capscrews, install the evaporator service cover on the HVAC assembly. Make sure that the evaporator service cover is correctly seated to the HVAC assembly.

15.

Connect the electrical connector to the evaporator temperature sensor.

16.

If needed, use tie straps to bundle the wiring harnesses.

17.

Install the dash panels listed below. For instructions, see Section 60.08 .

upper dash assembly, center panel

dash trim cap

console cover

waste bin

heater and air conditioner cover

upper dash cover

electrical cover

18.

Using capscrews, attach the plate that fits around the evaporator refrigerant lines to the frontwall.

19.

Install the no-drip tape around the evaporator refrigerant lines at the plate.

20.

Install the expansion valve and refrigerant lines.

IMPORTANT: Do not lubricate the Mini Stat-O-Seals prior to installation.

20.1

Install new Mini Stat-O-Seals on the evaporator refrigerant lines.

20.2

Using capscrews and the upper retaining plate, attach the expansion valve to the evaporator refrigerant lines. Torque the capscrews 35 lbf·in (395 N·cm).

20.3

Install new Mini Stat-O-Seals on the lower refrigerant lines.

20.4

Using a capscrew and the lower retaining plate, attach the refrigerant lines to the expansion valve. Torque the capscrew11 to 15 lbf·ft(15 to 20 N·m).

21.

Install the air cleaner. For instructions, see Section 09.01 .

22.

Be sure to add refrigerant oil to the compressor to replace that which is lost when the system is recovered. For instructions, see the applicable refrigerant compressor section in Group 83 .

23.

Evacuate and charge the air conditioning system with refrigerant. For instructions, see Subject 220 .

24.

Connect the batteries.

25.

Remove the chocks from the tires.

do you have any other questions??

Roy