Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have 2004 international dt448 rollback.truck has been

plugged in with block heater. It...
I have 2004 international dt448 rollback.truck has been plugged in with block heater.
It is cold out,cranked over few times ,wont start.
Bled valve by fuel filter and pumping well.
Wont start.
Charging it with battery charger.
What should i try next.
3/8/2018
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

444 you mean?

What chassis model is it? 4200?

Chasis 4300
Sorry it is at DT-466

Thank you for the info. Check engine light? Any fault codes logged?

No just brake pressure light and abs light on
What you were going to want to check if there is no fault codes indicating an electrical issue just be sure that the check engine light is coming on because you want to be sure that the ECM is getting power at key on. The other most common cause for a crank no start is the cam sensor so check and see if you have engine speed signal. Also check and verify that you have good fuel supply pressure as well as oil pressure. This engine needs 870 PSI for it to start Red by the ICP sensor in the high-pressure rail
When u turn key to on whole dash lights up,truck been sitting for about 1-1/2 weeks.
If you have a scan tool that reads live data I would try to plug in to see if you are reading RPM signal and also check that you have good fuel supply pressure and that you have good ICP pressure by testing with a 5000 PSI gauge eating at the ICP sensor port. While the sensors removed you can pressurize the high pressure rail with shop air to listen for leaks in the injector O-rings and high pressure rail. While testing and after confirming no leaks you can apply 12 volts to the IPR valve to put the IPR into full pressure which you should see up around 4,000 PSI if the hpop pump is good
Check all your fuses and also your IDM relay as that is another common cause for a crank no start
Sometimes there's some corrosion in the harness around the IDM relay and check in the battery box for any corrosion they are as well as there should be some in line fuses usually. Let me know and please remember to take a moment and rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time for helping on the site. Five star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated and we can still follow up as needed
If all of those items check out good then it would be time to check for power at the ECM and be sure that all your power and grounds are good for a possible failed ECM/IDM which is always the last thing to go after when all other possible causes have been eliminated.
Fuel squirts out a good ways when u crank ,when pressing valve stem when cranking. No scan tool.
What kind do u need.
Every other time it has been cold and this happened,just bled valve a few times and start right up. Im afraid to crank more than a few times as not to damage anything. I also usually have help of my son.but he not here. Sorry
Where is the IDM relay and in line fuses? It is 11pm here and snowing, i cant get back under today. Might have to text back tomorrow. Truck has about 55,000 miles on it. Motor was rebuilt.
Also has 2 new batteries.
How likely is it that fuel could gel.and what would u reccomend to put in it in cold weather. My other son not here and has not answered me.sorry for sll basic questions
How do i follow up with you.would it be "you" i am on east coast
Look in the battery box for the inline fuses or Breakers. If the fuel is gelled I would put the red 911 additive for it
We can follow up as needed and it would be me. I login periodically throughout the day as time allows unless of course I'm out on the road. But I will always respond back on my next available login

Click below... most parts stores carry this

Fuel additive

Daniel Wilson
Where is ECM/IDM?
Gives me some guidance.
Wouldnt having the battery charger on.and it is cranking heavy start it if everything ok?
If fuel was gelled ,then would it squirt any fuel.
Seems also as if heater block plug not working well. I replaced it last yr.
I will check for corrosion & grounds tomorrow am.
I thank you for all yr guidance, have good day/ night. I will get back at it ,tomorrow

Click on this link for more FYI on the clean power and IDM power terminals

IDM power issues

The ECM/IDM is the square module on the LH side of the engine with the electrical wiring going to it near the fuel filter

Have a good night. Keep me posted