Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2002 freightliner century classic engine detroit series 60.

i got to change 2...
2002 freightliner century classic engine detroit series 60. i got to change 2 injectors need to know what i got to do.i think take off rockerarms not sure and if i need torque specs. i also have to change oilpump i know i got to take off oilpan need to know if its right on the bottom of the engine thanks.
3/8/2018
Steven, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech

Hello, My name is***** will lay out what you need to do for this repair. On the injector repair, the procedure will change little if the unit is equipped with engine brakes. If it is, then the engine brakes will need to be removed. Depending if this engine is equipped with PAC or Jake brakes will depend if the rocker bolts need to be removed. Some engine brake set ups on the old series 60 actually bolted down thru the rocker shafts. Once that is removed, the rocker shafts will need to be lifted up and off the engine, If the injectors to be replaced are in the same 3 cylinders that the rocker shaft holds onto then you only have to remove 2 engine brakes and 1 rocker shaft, Once the rocker shaft(s) is removed there is an injector hold down bolt that is in the center of the hold down. Remove that bolt and use a ladys foot or a adjustable angle prybar and lift up on the metal part of the injector solenoid. removed both wires on top of the injector. When the injector is removed from the bore, look inside with a light and make sure that there is no coolant going into the cylinder. The cups in the old 60 series are known for going bad in the higher mileage engines. You will need to clean the injector bore and cup out with a soft bristle brush. Spray it out with a non-flammable brake cleaner, then blow out the cylinder with a blow gun to get all of the fuel and brake cleaner out of the cylinder. Take the injector and look on the tag on the top. There will be a trim code, write that down and the cylinder location it is going in, If that is forgot its not that big of a deal because they can just put a default value in. Lube up the orings on the new injector and installed with the hold down on it. push the injector in until you hear it drop in. Then move the injector back and fourth to center It. Install the hold down bolt and torque to 45 ft lbs. On the rocker shaft. Before you put it back on-There will be a taller stud into the cam caps at each end. Make sure they are tight. If they are loose you can double nut the stud and torque to 90 foot lbs. There is a special taller socket that fits them studs. Then installed the rocker shafts. Make sure all of the rockers are centered in the cylinder valve alignment and not hung up on the cam cap. in the bolts down evenly and torque all of them to 90 ft lbs. Also make sure all of the buttons are still present on the rocker arms. After those are torqued you will need to set the over head. The older series 60 used a 7 cylinder method. For example when your rolling the engine over and the injector starts to go down, stop rolling it over and adjust the valves on that cylinder, then whatever other cylinder added to that one equals seven that's the one you adjust the injector, for example- injector starts going down on 6- adjust the valves on 6 and the injector on 1, the valve adjustment measurements are on the side of the valve cover usually they are .660mm for ex and .203mm for intake. The injector height will also be on there, should be 78.8, or 81.0for that year. The injector height needs to be set with the height gauge. I have heard of guys using a digital caliper utilizing the long end to measure it. Once that is done installed the engine brakes and torque them to 90 as well. To set them just roll the engine over until the ex valves are loose and adjust. The play will be on the tag on the engine brake. Make sure you put high temp rtv on the valve cover at the corners and around where the cover seal goes over the cam cap. On the oil pump-Click on this link and it will provide instructions for that.http://www.detroitmanuals.info/series-60/040402.html

Please don't forget to rate my answer, Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks

im gonna start tearing down truck tomorrow can i get back with you tomorrow.because i may need more questions about injectors after getting cover off.and im changing injectors 3 and 5 dont number 1 start at the front on the radiator. thanks

Yes, Injector 1 is in the front. I will be available at times thru tomm.

Don't forget to please rate my answers thus far on the top of the screen. Thanks

If I rate you now I can still talk to you about the injectors tomorrow

Yes, I don't leave people in the dark. I work from 7-3:30 EST tomm but I will have times thru the day that I can respond. Its a pretty easy repair and will be easy to guide you thru it.

Steven, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech
Ok thanks

No problem. Just let me know any questions you have. I will search something quick, I might have a digital saved copy of the manual to show some pictures of the repair and the process a little more.

thanks again steven, i rated you excellent if you have any problem let me know

Intake and exhaust valve clearance and fuel injector height are adjusted by means of an adjusting set screw and locknut located at the valve end of the rocker arm.

Note: Ensure the height gage seats on the machined surface with the tip in the pilot hole. Foreign material in the pilot hole or on the machined surface may prevent accurate setting of the injector height.

The fuel injector height is measured using the required Injector Height Gage

On engines equipped with a Jake Brake®, move the handle on the injector height gage to the alternate position, 90 degrees to the shank. A height gage locating hole is provided in the injector body on the machined surface contacted by the injector clamp near the solenoid

Figure 2. Using Timing Gage on DDEC II, DDEC III, and DDEC IV

Components ‡?

Setting Dimensions?

Tolerance †?

FUEL INJECTOR HEIGHTS Models: 6067GT40, 6067WT40, 6067WU40,6067GU40, 6063WU00, 6063GU00,6067WU60, 6067GU60, 6067GU91 (All DDEC I and DDEC II / 1986 - 1993)?

78.2 mm (3.079 in.) Use tool J-35637-A ?

77.95 - 78.45 mm (3.069 - 3.089 in.)?

FUEL INJECTOR HEIGHTS Models: 6064TKXX, 6063TKXX, 6063EKXX, 606XGKXX, 606XWKXX, 606XSKXX (All DDEC III 1994-1997)?

78.8 mm (3.102 in.) Use tool J-39697 32J cam?

77.55 - 79.05 mm (3.053 - 3.112 in.)?

FUEL INJECTOR HEIGHTS Models: 6067TKXX, 606XPKXX, 606XGKXX (1997-98 DDEC IV and later 1997 DDEC III)?

80.3 mm (3.161 in.)Use tool J-42665 47J cam?

80.05 - 80.55 mm (3.152 - 3.171 in.)?

FUEL INJECTOR HEIGHTS Models: 6067EKXX, 606XBKXX, 606XMKXX, 606XLKXX, 606XHKXX, 606XFKXX (1998 & 1999 DDEC IV)?

81.0 mm (3.189 in.)Use tool J-42749 65J cam 92J cam?

80.75 - 81.25 mm(3.179 - 3.199 in.)?

FUEL INJECTOR HEIGHTS Models: §?

6067BKXX, MKXX, HKXX?

?

6067MKXX?

?

606XBKXX?

?

?

606XMKXX?

?

82.1 mm (3.23 in.) Use tool J-45002 w/101J cam?

81.0 mm (3.189 in.) Use tool J-42749 w/92J cam?

82.1 mm (3.23 in.) Use tool J-45002 w/107J cam on off-highway units only?

0.8128 mm (0.032 in.)?

FUEL INJECTOR HEIGHTS Models:?

6062HKXX, 6062TKXX (2000-2003)?

81.0 mm (3.189 in.)?

80.75 - 81.25 mm?

3.179 - 3.199 in.)?

INTAKE VALVE CLEARANCE?

0.203 mm(0.008 in.)?

0.127 - 0.280 mm(0.005 - 0.011 in.)?

EXHAUST VALVE CLEARANCE - * "U" Models: 6067GT40, 6067WT40, 6067WU40, 6067GU40, 6063XX00, (1986 - 1990 All DDEC I & Early DDEC II)?

0.508 mm(0.020 in.)?

0.432 - 0.584 mm(0.017 - 0.023 in.)?

EXHAUST VALVE CLEARANCE - * "H" Models: 606XWUXX, 606XGUXX, 606XXKXX, (1991 - 1999 All DDEC IV, III and later DDEC II)?

0.660 mm(0.026 in.)?

0.584 - 0.736 mm(0.023 - 0.029 in.)?

EXHAUST VALVE CLEARANCE - * "H" Models: 6062HKXX, 6062TKXX (2000 - 2003)?

0.711 mm (0.028 in.)?

0.635 - 0.787 mm (0.025 - 0.031 in.)?

*"H" valves have a machined identification ring above the valve lock groove. "U" valves do not. Refer to section 1.4 for valve identification.
† When setting injector heights or valve clearances, the component should be set to the "Setting Dimension" shown.
‡ XX Any character in these positions, set to the adjacent column.
§ Check option label on valve cover for correct setting.

Adjust the valves and set the fuel injector heights as follows:?

Disconnect starting power for engine.

Remove the engine valve rocker cover as outlined

Insert a 3/4 in. drive breaker bar or ratchet into the square hole in the center of the crankshaft pulley

Bar the engine in the direction of rotation and observe the intake and exhaust valve rollers at any cylinder that is close to TDC (top dead center).

Choose a cylinder that has the exhaust valves almost completely closed. Just as the exhaust valves are closing, the intake valves will start to open. This is the valve overlap period.

Stop engine rotation at the time of valve overlap. Note which cylinder this is, and follow the sequence

Cylinder with Valve Overlap?

Set Valves on Cylinder No.?

Set Injector Height on Cylinder No.?

6?

1?

5?

2?

5?

3?

4?

3?

6?

1?

6?

2?

5?

2?

4?

3?

4?

1?

To adjust the intake valves, insert a 0.203 mm (0.008 in.) feeler gage between the tip of the valve stem and the valve button at the end of the rocker arm.

Loosen the locknut, and turn the adjusting set screw until the feeler gage produces an even smooth pull between the valve stem and valve button. Torque the locknut to 41 - 47 N·m (30 - 35 lb·ft) and remove the feeler gage. Reinsert the feeler gage to ensure that the adjustment did not change when the locknut was tightened. Readjust as necessary. The exhaust valves are adjusted the same way as the intake valves, except use a 0.660 mm (0.026 in.) feeler gage (1991 and later models only). Early models (pre-1991 models) use 0.508 mm (0.020 in.) feeler gage

After each set of intake and exhaust valves is adjusted, adjust the corresponding injector

Adjust the fuel injector height for the engine models in parentheses by placing the small end of the height gage in the hole provided in the fuel injector body, with the flat of the gage toward the fuel injector plunger.

Loosen the fuel injector rocker arm locknut and turn the adjusting set screw until the extended part (flag) of the gage will just pass over the top of the injector follower. An accurate "feel" will be developed. The objective is to adjust all six injectors to the same feel. Torque the locknut to 41 - 47 N·m (30 - 35 lb·ft). Check the adjustment with the height gage and, if necessary, readjust the set screw. Remove the height gage.

Refer to the adjusting sequence and proceed to the next cylinder in the adjustment sequence. Bar the engine over in the direction of normal rotation until the next cylinder in the adjustment sequence is in its valve overlap period. Repeat the valve adjustment and fuel injector height adjustments procedures until all the valves and fuel injectors have been adjusted. Replace the engine rocker cover. Reconnect starting power to the engine.

May I also ask why you are changing the injectors, and what lead to say that they required replacement?

There was a computer hooked to the truck and it said number 3 and 5 was misfiring so I'm thinking bad injectors
im there mechanic i had the driver take it and have computer put on it to be sure because i dont have computer for semi trucks.i just called him he said they told him that injector 3 and 5 was bad i will check wires to injectors make sre they good.unless you think i need to check something else.
Okay. I would check the injector wiring near the ecm and under the valve cover. Not saying the injectors are not bad, just not common to have 2 bad at the same time. The harness outside wrapped in a plastic sheating and over time that plastic will wear into the wire. Also make sure you check the injector adjuster and make sure it didn’t back all the way off and make sure the injector roller isn’t damaged. They are made of ceramic and can break.
It’s worth checking to rule out something simple before slapping 2 injectors in it.
you right i will crank it and mess with wires at ecm see if it changings and check wires thanks.im like you its strange for 2 injectors to go out.i will know tomorrow
Okay. Let me know