Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

It will not start. cranks fine. 06 International 4400

It will not start...

It will not start. cranks fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

06 International 4400 DT466E

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Cleaned and followed all cables from bat to everywhere checked all fuses swapped ecm relay

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Codes are SID221 this one shows up twice

also getting SIDD254
3/7/2018
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

These codes are usually thrown for a loss of power to the ECM or IDM. Start at your batteries and inspect all connections and grounds between your batteries and starter as well as the inline ECM fuse and harness between the battery box and ECM. Look for corroded, chafed or damaged connector pins and wiring. Check the IDM relay and harness as well.

we have done that

What do you have for voltage at the ECM for battery and switched power? All grounds tested good with your OHM meter for continuity at the ECM?

If the voltage and power and grounds are good, IDM relay is good then it points to a faulty ECM/IDM. Try to obtain a test one to try or have yours sent out for bench testing and reflashing/programming. Let me know

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

we are testing voltage now and grounds with the ohm meter

Do you have the schematics?

all grounds plugs and connections have been cleaned. sent truck to international a month ago with similar problems they replaced the wiring harness. guys just pulled the second plug on the ecm and found it is covered with oil
no schematic
That oil saturated plug is not a good sign it's very possible that that oil got into the ECM and if all your ECM power and grounds test good you could have a faulty ECM.
How would oil get into the plug? it is there and pretty bad but it should not go in from the outside and there should not be oil on the inside

Look for oil in the sensor plugs for a leaking sensor and the injector harness plugs

It will run down the wiring internally....

Daniel Wilson
nice this is going to be fun fun fun
This will take a while i'll let you go Thanks