Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2011 Freightliner Cascadia that I brought into the…

I have a 2011 Freightliner...
I have a 2011 Freightliner Cascadia that I brought into the shop for a regen. I went home that evening and returned the next morning and the truck would not start. I connected the laptop and found that it wasn't talking to any controllers. Iv checked all fuses in glove compartment and under hood and they are all good. The codes on the dash panel are as followes
Brake 011 SPN000639 J1939 Network 09
EEC 061 SPN000639 J1939 Network 07
ENG 2 001 SPN000639 J1939 Network 07
Engine 000 SPN000639 J1939 Network 07
SAMCAB 033 SPN521803 LAMP-INTERIOR 04The Vin on the truck is 1FUJGLDR7CLBP3703
3/7/2018
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Check in the battery box for inline fuses/breakers. Also are there any accessories in the cab that are dead as well? What accessories work or dont work? Check the LVD ( Low Voltage disconnect) module in case it has tripped. Test the batteries for possible dead cells and a potential voltage draw or short in the system as well. Let me know. We can follow up as needed on here.

Take a close look at the wiring and connector pins for corrosion or loose/damaged terminals in the battery and main power/IGN circuit. Let me know

There are no fuses in the battery box. Where is the LVD located?
ok I can spin the truck over it just wont start. There is no power showing in the battery gauge on the dash. Im not getting power to the engine controller. when I plug into the truck it wont show me anything engine related.
Im also only showing 10 volts at the key switch. Is that normal on this truck?
The PNDB is working im getting voltage out of it.
The only other thing in the cab I can tell that is wrong is the DEF fluid meter is flashing red but the tank is full of fluid.

Is there power and ground to the SAM modules? All fuses test good for power on both sides IGN on? J1939 datalink test must be done by using diagnosticlink 8. Check for shortened/grounded wires behind the sleeper for the qualcom antenna and the J1939 harness/connector pins for corrosion or damage. If pressure washed recently check for water intrusion into the connectors and module.

Which engine is in this truck?ISX, DD15, Mercedes?

DD15

Click this link for the SAM info. Check the power and grounds to the SAM module

Service info

all fuses to the sam cab are good

And you tested the pinouts to the SAM for power and ground to the SAM, ECM, etc?

Daniel Wilson
Working on that now.
Phone call session started
Ok I found a wire shorted against the frame. repaired the wire and all seems to work. can I ask you one more question on this truck with a couple of codes that it is showing now that I got it started or do I need to start at the beginning?

Well it depends on how complex it is. I did accept your call request but I havent submitted it being completed. Let me know what it is and Ill let you know if we can get into it. Maybe consider it the additional call charge...

What codes are they?

SPN 5246 FMI 15
SPN 5246 FMI 16
SPN 5246 FMI 0

SPN 5246/FMI 0 - EPA10 This diagnostic is typically Regulatory Fault Ignored - Final Action (Speed Limit). For 2011 models this code sets when SPN 5246/FMI 16 is present and the fuel was refilled more than 15 percent or SPN 5246/FMI 16 is present, 30 gallons of fuel has been used and the vehicle has been restarted. For 2010 models this code sets when SPN 5246/FMI 16 is present and the fuel was refilled more than 30 percent or SPN 5246/FMI 16 is present, 350 gallons of fuel has been used and the vehicle has been restarted.

SPN 5246/FMI 15 - EPA10 This diagnostic is typically Regulatory Fault Ignored - Derate On. For 2011 models, this code sets when the vehicle has been driven for 30 miles while a code is present for the DEF tank level, DEF metering valve, DEF pump, NOx sensors, Blocked DEF line, DEF quality, NOx efficiency, SCR harness and/or SCR sensor. For 2010 models, this code sets when the vehicle has been driven for 10 hours or 500 miles while a code is present for the DEF tank level, DEF metering valve, DEF pump, NOx sensors, Blocked DEF line, DEF quality, NOx efficiency, SCR harness and/or SCR sensor.

SPN 5246/FMI 16 - EPA10 This diagnostic is typically Regulatory Fault Ignored - Final Action Pending. For 2011 this code sets after SPN 5246/FMI 15 is present and the vehicle has been driven for 220 miles. For 2010 this code sets after SPN 5246/FMI 15 is present and the vehicle has been driven for 30 hours or 1500 miles.