Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Allison 2100 hs transmission no 5th gearNo codes 1-4 shifts…

allison 2100 hs transmission no...
allison 2100 hs transmission no 5th gear(###) ###-####No codes 1-4 shifts fine rpm fine 2700 rpm in 4 59 mph date on trans 09h05
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

Usually that points to the shift solenoid. I'm surprised there is no code or the inhibit isn't flashing.

What is this transmission in? Fluid level is good?

I would test the solenoid and maybe even pull the valve body down and clean it up. It is most likely sending a signal that the shift occurred, but the valve is stuck closed. I see that a lot on the buses I work on.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

I have autel and Allison software went thought solenoids
Fluid is good
Shift is in drive Trans will only get to 4
shifts nicely under 50 you would not know there is a problem
Is there a shift Governor ?
Which solenoids control 5

Next question, what is this in? What engine? I ask because if there is a low torque issue from the engine, it will have a hard time getting up to 5th. What are the pressures showing during the shifts with the Allison software? Do you see dropping on the pump from 3 to 4?

The things that will cause it to not shift to 5th are low power from engine, speed sensors, temps sensors, solenoid, valve body adjustment, low pressure from pump, and failed clutch disc. I doubt you have the last, however the others can cause it for sure. These are things I check for with each complaint.

Use Allison to record, then run the gears up and see if the temps is good, that the speed sensor isn't dropping out at the high RPMs, and that the pressure is staying up from 3 to 4. There should be an increase at the end of 4 when you want 5. If any of those drop, then you will know the reason of fault and why you're not getting a code.

The solenoid for 5 is the left one on the rear as you are looking up and into the trans with the pan off. It is the easiest one to get to.

Yes, it does have the shift governor on it and is adjustable through the valve body. That takes that $2k tool to do it though on that transmission. Just a heads up.

Also, you have the guide in the Allison software that will give you the pinout to test the solenoid and the temp sensors. I would suggest to pull that guide in the software and test those right quick. That only takes a few minutes and will let you know right away if they are out of spec.

Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Cummins
truck run good no power problems
When road are clear i will test again
I have pan down I will inspect and check for stuck valve

If that is the newer Cummins with EGR, just for troubleshooting, blow the EGR tubes out. That EGR sensor will cause the range inhibit on the Allison, FYI.

It looks like it might be a programming issue
to shift into 5th gear transmission is looking for output speed of 3100 rpm s
Max output I can get is about 2600
I have a program code of 350 I need to find a chart of program codes or some how change threshold

Output or input? With output, that is usually a speed sensor problem.

Do you have Allison 2017.1 or later with programming? It should have the programming code when you right click on the error and do the diagnostic search if you have the programming counts added.

Unfortunately, I can't pull programming codes with my Allison program unless I am connected or I would grab it. Allison is odd like that. I guess it is to keep from burning up the counts.

Output In 4th is 1 to 1 so Im getting the correct input and output Im up against the governor so there is no way to get to 3100 rpms it is looking for to shift into 5th
Ill see what I can do Tomorrow

That would be programming then.

There is an overdrive switch that I did not see almost in front of passage seat it was selected off
No dash lights for over drive on off I have never seen overdrive switch in freightliner

That will certainly do it.

I've not seen one in a Freightliner also. That is new to me...