Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Truck is derating and fault code is spn1172 fmi 3. How does…

Truck is derating and...

Truck is derating and fault code is spn1172 fmi 3

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

How long does that normally take?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not yet. I have a small scanner and that is the code that is pulling up on my screen

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic

What is the engine serial number?

I dont have that in front of me. What about VIN#

OK the FUll vin please

1FUJGBDV3ASAS4263
Its been derating for a good while. Wont go past 25 MPH with a flatbed trailer. The shop cleaned out the intake manifold and egr with acid wash cause there was carbon buildup and also changed fuel meter.
roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks

do you still need help??

year, make model an engine??

Roy

2010 Detroit Cascadia DD13 Mercedes 12.8

ok, let me check

this code indicates a short circuit in the circuit for the jakes. check the harness closely for any damage. check the solenoid as well to see if it is shorted.

Roy

237.1  SPN 1072/FMI 3 - EPA07 - EPA10 - GHG14

Short to Battery Power Between Pin 1 on the Jake Brake® Solenoid and Pin 66 on the Motor Control Module 120-pin Connector

The coade from my scanner reads SPN 1072 / FMI3

you posted 1172???? what is the exact code???

Sorry. The code from my scanner reads SPN 1172 / FMI 3FMI = 3 VOLTAGE ABOVE NORMAL, OR SHORTED TO HIGH SOURCESPN 1172 ENGINE TURBOCHARGER 1 COMPRESSOR INLET TEMPERATURE

flow chart

Spn 1172/Fmi3

This code is typically turbocharger compressor inlet temperature circuit failed high.‪

Section 87.2.1
Open Circuit Check

Check as follows:‪

1. Check for multiple codes.
    1. If 175/3, 100/3 and 1172/3 are present, repair the open between pin 105 of the MCM 120–pin connector and the Turbo Inlet and Engine Oil Pressure/Temperature sensors. Refer to "87.1.1.1 Verify Repairs" .
    2. If only 1172/3 is present, go to the next step.
  2. Disconnect the Turbo Compressor In Temperature Sensor (TCI Sensor).
  3. Turn the ignition ON (key ON, engine OFF).
  4. Measure the voltage between pins 3 and pin 4 on the harness side of the TCI Sensor.

Figure 1. Turbo Compressor In Temperature Sensor

1. If the voltage is greater than 4.5 volts, replace the sensor. Refer to "87.1.1.1 Verify Repairs" .
    2. If the voltage is less than 4.5 volts, go to the next step.
  5. Measure the voltage between pin 3 of the TCI Sensor and ground.
    1. If the voltage is greater than 4.5 volts, repair the open between pin 4 of the TCI Sensor and pin 105 of the MCM 120–pin connector.Refer to "87.1.1.1 Verify Repairs" .
    2. If the voltage is less than 4.5 volts, repair the open between pin 3 of the TCI Sensor and pin 86 of the MCM 120–pin connector. Refer to "87.1.1.1 Verify Repairs" .

Section 87.2.1.1
Verify Repairs

Verify repairs as follows:‪

1. Turn ignition OFF.
  2. Reconnect any electrical connections that were disconnected to perform the diagnosis.
  3. Clear codes with DDDL 7.0 or latest version.
  4. Start and bring engine up to operating temperature (over 140°F/60°C).
  5. Verify operation is satisfactory and no warning lamps illuminate. If warning lamps illuminate, troubleshoot the codes. If assistance is required, call the Detroit Diesel Customer Support Center (800–445–1980
Would this cause the engine to derate and not have power?
Also what am I looking for and where is this located?

yes it would if it would not complete a re gen.

you need to follow the flow chart on the wire to the sensor. it may just be a bad sensor but power and grounds need to be verified.

let me see if I can get a picture for you.

Roy

On this truck, we did a DPF Delete long ago.

then it will not de rate but if you have a turbo malfunction, it will have low power.

trying to find a picture but look around the turbo for a 2 wire sensor. it is not the speed sensor but a temp sensor. look on the air intake of the turbo.

Roy

correction it is a pressure sensor as well. look on the intake manifold for the sensor.

Roy

it could be a pressure sensor and temp sensor and what side is the intake manifold on the turbo? Facing the cab or facing the hood?
And would this cause it to derate also?

intake is on the drivers side.

it is a combo sensor with 3 wires.

no, the sensor will not cause a low power, the turbo will.

Roy

Would this code determine that the turbo is bad?

no, it is indicating the reading the ecm is seeing is not correct. it is not getting a reading whether it is from a bad sensor or wiring

Roy

that is from cummins insite. it is for the temp sensor. freightliner has a combo sensor temp/pressure sensor. the wire diagram shows you the sensor and the 3 wire connector.

you cannot use cummins for a MBE engine flow chart. they are similar but not the same

Roy

Ok, because when my guy took off the turbo to get to the EGR Cooler to clean out the carbon, he said the turbo looked fine?

ok, does that mean no oil in the turbo, no in and outplay and no lateral play???

Roy

Did you ever find a pic on what I am supposed to be looking for?

not yet, still looking but it is on the intake manifold

Roy

roybelding
There was some oil from the crankcase but they said that its common due to a bit of blow by and that I would get a bit due to the crankcase pressure regardless.
I know on my Peterbilt that the crankcase filter, when it get dirty with oil, it will lose power. Does this Freightliner have anything like that?

sure can. where is the connector?

Would it cause it to lose power

that sensor along with the temp/pressure sensor work together.

yes, it would as the ecm has no indication of the incoming air value

Roy

That didn't fix the problem. Still derating

what about the other sensor that was setting the code??

do you mean low power or does it peak out in power??

Roy

Phone call session started
Ok. I found out that the air leak is coming from the blue tube at the end of the clamp ( look at pic) and 3 clamps behind the
turbo that are attached to alluminum tubing which all ties into the turbo. The mechanic said it will take one day to replace the 4 clamps but he said that it was losing compression which is why it was losing power after driving it after 5 miles. The truck goes from regular speed and then after about 5 miles it will drop to 25-30mph. I dont know if this is the problem cause I've had this problem for 3 weeks and it wasnt losing air before.