Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have 2009 freightliner M2 with ISB engine less than 26000…

Customer Question
I have 2009 freightliner M2...
I have 2009 freightliner M2 with ISB engine less than 26000 lb gross weight. The truck is loosing coolant through the overflow on the coolant tank. I changed the cap with a new cap rated 20 pounds of pressure and also changed changed the coolant tank but still having the same issues. Now i know that this could be a blown head gasket issue but before i start doing head gasket repair what could be the OTHER causes of this issue.Please list them for me with blown head gasket and the last possible cause and as mentioned i already changed the cap and tank. I need a list of ALL other possible causes so that i can eliminate them before being left with head gasket as the only possible cause
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/7/2018
Technician: roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks replied 1 month ago
roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok, the only other possibility that could produce enough pressure to the tank is a air compressor head gasket pumping air in the cooling system.

to verify, you need to bypass the air compressor and see if the pressure still exists.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that everything that could cause this issue?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
which of the two is mostly likely to be the cause? Engine Head gasket or compressor head gasket?

the only other thing I can think of is the egr cooler but you would have other issues as well.

as far as the head gasket, you would need to do a leak down test on the cylinders to confirm. you would need to remove the injectors and get a leak down tester and test each cylinder for air leaking into the cooling system.

the bypass on the air compressor is a much easier test to perform first. it is a common failure.

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What other issues would I have if it was an egr cooler issue ?

lots of white smoke out the exhaust, aftertreatment issues as well as coolant in the dpf will crack it open like an egg.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have had some after treatment codes and also egr codes as well... I just cleaned egr valve recently because I thought the code must be from the valve..

if the cooler was bad, you would have seen coolant in the passage.

you need to do those 2 tests to find the failure. no guessing here. need to do the diagnostics.

roy

do you have any other questions?

Roy

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Took the truck to a tech to perform tests.. what he did notice was that the main coolant line from the radiator that runs just close to the air intake was very hard when the truck was being tested.. he says it was like coolant wasn’t circulating through.. to test he had to put the truck in a regen mode so that it builds up enough pressure he also hooked up a pressure gauge on the coolant tank. He says that at first pressure wasn’t building up past the 20 psi even though the truck was in regen so because of that he ruled out the compressor as the source of the issue.. according to him if it was the compressor, the pressure in the coolant tank would have building up almost immediately because the compressor does not require the truck to idle for long or be in regen mode before it build s up enough pressure. And because of how hard the coolant hose from the radiator was he says he thinks coolant is just not circulating enough through the engine and the coolant that does get through the engine because of not circulating enough it’s being heated and expands and caused the overflow from the coolant tank.. according to him, he doesn’t think it’s the head gasket causing the issue and also after it had building enough pressure, the pressure measured through the gauge wasn’t fluctuating.. if it was fluctuating he says it would be as a results of the pistons moving and so that would point to a head gasket issue but because the gauge held pressure last the 20 psi without fluctuating he leaned more towards the issue not being the head gasket.. he recommended changing the thermostat and the water pump and then retest.. what are your thoughts about this

you can try but if it was the thermostat, it would overheat and you said nothing about that.

you can try it but I doubt it.

I would still have the leak down test done

Roy

roybelding
roybelding