Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

My 2000 Freightliner classic do the odometer keeps stopping.

Hi. My 2000 Freightliner...

Hi. My 2000 Freightliner classic do the odometer keeps stopping. I have changed the speedometer twice now and the odometer tracks the miles for about 2 months and then quits. Uggg. Any ideas on me issue

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2000 Freightliner classic do 12.7 detroit

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Classic xl

3/7/2018
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

Does the speedometer quit too or just the odometer?

Is it digital or the dial style?

Have you changed the VSS?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just the odometer has quit. It's a dial style. And I have not changed the VSS
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
VSS?

With the dial style, the odometer spins based on the gearing in the speedometer. It is really odd to have it just quit.

VSS is the Vehicle Speed Sensor on the transmission. Sometimes the VSS will send too much of amperage read to the speedometer and knock out the odometer, but it doesn't do that on your style.

Where are you getting the assembly from? Maybe a aftermarket defect or a repair issue they are doing with the little gears in it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well since I can't find a new replacement to keep the factory look. I've been going to salvage yards. Maybe the VSS is the problem with the odometer stopping.and I should start there first and then try to replace the speedometer

Do you have the old one? I suggest Bob's Speedometer out of Michigan. I had a shop here in Orlando recommend them to me a few years ago to rebuild one and I send what I can to them now. They will completely rebuild the gears in the speedometer to where they are like new again.

Yes, I would start with the VSS for if it is spiking, even very briefly, it will cause a fast spin on the gears from the circuit board and will kill out the circuit board that controls the gearing. Replace it first then send the speedometer head to Bob's and have them rebuild it. They average just over $130 for a full rebuild.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's what I'll do. Jeremy thank y

You're welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You for the info

CLICK HERE for the link to Bob's.

Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician