Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

$40.00 tip for answer that leads to diagnosis / 2012

Mitsubishi fuso fe 160 has...
$40.00 tip for answer that leads to diagnosis / 2012 Mitsubishi fuso fe 160 has codes 210D05 - scr dosing valve: diagnostic error check for open load - current below normal or open circuit / code 53F1E3 scr dosing valve: diagnostic error check for short circuit to battery on the high side switch . - voltage above normal or shorted to high source. unit is powered down, I can go into adaptations and reset the scr system and blue tec and returns it to normal but after a while of driving goes back into power down, any help would be great I will tip well
3/6/2018
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

What are you using to pull those codes up? Fuso is kind of jacked up in that you can only look those up in the FUSO catalog. The site lists the SAE SPN type codes for the diagnostic charts.

Did you do a doser swap already? Usually, with the first code, the doser is the fault. The second one I usually find the harness shorted at the plug for the ECM. The power wire will swell up from high loads from the ECM and cause the pin to loosen when the engine gets hot.

There was 1 truck I had that had these 2 and a failed EGR fault which turned ou to be the ECM itself. That 2nd fault will be the harder one to diagnose because it is typically always harness related. At least from my experience with it.

About how long after driving does this power down? Is it when the passive regen starts up by chance? If it is when the regen starts up, then definitely replace that doser valve and the pigtail to it. That should get rid of the first code and possibly the second if the doser is pulling too much voltage off the ECM to cause that trigger. Otherwise, that second one may be internal to the ECM. That SCR system runs on its own set of chips in the ECM and I have had to change a LOT of them on the 2012 to 2014.5 series Canters. There for a while, it was easy money for Fuso because we were swapping them out weekly. The cause was bad grounding to the ECM which was shorting the ECM, all on the SCR and DPF side of the ECM. We figured it out on the 6th truck and started repairing the grounds on the whole fleet which stopped the ECMs from being replaced. So be sure to check there in case this is one of those situations.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am using the Mercedes benz sd connect, I will rate and tip as promised now, if you promise to stay with me on this. ive had trouble in past with techs bailing on me after I rate and tip. so please keep this post I don't know how you are alerted as to follow ups after accepted answers but its important thank you again and please keep in touch

Don't rate yet for that is when the questions get lost. I know you've been here awhile and that is what happens. You rate and then reply, we don't get the notice until there is a 2nd or 3rd reply after that. It is an error that we have complained about for a long time. It isn't that people bailed (I hope not) it is that we don't get the replies unless we go into the paid lists and manually look.

I am not going anywhere because I want to know the cause too. It is a 2 way learning at all times. I learn other avenues and things to check for we all learn every day, especially in this field. I'm not there so I can only assist and guide. I'm sure if I was there we would both be scratching our heads and tearing the truck apart.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thank you Jeremy, I will post back with results

Sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jeremy, I replaced the dosing module with new. cleared out codes but for some reason code 7AF1FF ( torque limitation active: OBD performance limiter group 111 - condition exists ) I cant clear it out and the amber eng. sys. light is on in the center cluster as well as a solid amber def quality light. I performed a force regeneration and that was successful but im stuck on this now

The DEF quality is causing that. That is contaminated DEF or the DEF pressure sensor acting up.

Use a refractometer for the DEF and test it. If it is off a little bit, dump the DEF, rinse the tank, and then put in fresh. The customer may have gotten bad DEF which took out the doser. I see that a lot when there is diesel in it, water in it from the winter pulling in the moisture, and vandalism.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok the meter only had the white ball go up so that indicates bad def. I removed tank drained completely filled with warm water rinsed and drained repeated that 2x then filled 1/2 way with new unopened blue def moved that around then drained that and installed tank back on truck then refilled. amber engine sys light and solid amber def light on same as before, it wont clear same codes as b4. should I try to drive it or you mentioned the pressure sensor? wich do you suggest

Do a regen and it usually clears for it will force DEF in the line to clean out the sensor.

Then drive it and see if it will self-resolve. Sometimes these Fuso truck can be a PITA where you have to have 5 key cycles and some 8 key cycles to clear out. If the issue is still there, then that pressure sensor on the DEF line may have bad DEF in it still that will not rinse out. I wouldn't do the sensor until the regen is done/attempted and the truck has had several key cycles with a short drive.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok the pressure sensor (out of curiosity) were is it? when i get in this morning i will do a regen and drive it. i will also over course of the day perform the key cycles and short drives ill keep you posted, and jeremy thank you for staying with me this long

It is on the supply module which is the pump on the tank. There is a sensor on it that reads the DEF pressure that is being fed to the doser that is on the SCR box. There is also a mesh filter in there and a backflow throttle in that unit. If you remove it from the tank, you can get access to the mesh filter. The pressure sensor is on the unit just before the line that goes out and to the doser. That sensor should unscrew off if I recall off the top of my head.

I have a funeral to go to today (family member) so I may not be available for a little bit. I'm still here though.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok I took for a test drive and on that drive all lights went out on there own,all loks good. I then continued to drive both around town and highway with no other codes al clear, however when I view live data I noticed the def consumption to be normal I drove almost 70 miles total and the def guage in lower right corner of cluster still reads full and on laptop in live data the level is also 99% it never went lower even though you can see its consumption via live data and the physical sight tube is lower after my drive wich now only has about a little less than half a tank but the computer is reading 99% as well as the guage is displaying full. I guess I have a sending unit issue in the def tank of is this a level sensor? thoughts on this as well as the over all repair ( wich I believe is complete and successful)

Sounds like the bad DEF was very acidic and ate away on the connections for the sender. If you are under half, see if the sender has build up and not allowing that float to move (jammed). If it did move and the reading is still at 99%, I would definitely change that sender out.

I had a feeling there was still something caught in that pressure sensor. I run into that a lot on these DEF systems on all makes/model of trucks.

Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician