Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

How much does the service cost. I have a 1997 chevy 7500…

How much does the...

How much does the service cost

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Heavy Equipment Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Thank you, ***** ***** a 1997 chevy 7500 3116 8wl with a computer,electronic pedal. Sits during winter months with occasional start and run. Not started for 5-6 weeks,thought when turning key heard would normally hear one soft solenoid and one louder,not hearing louder one click, heater plugged in. battery tender on. checked fuses and breakers,no solenoid on back of governor. no smoke of any color showing even on long attempt tell me ,tell me how we proceed

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

The numbers i have with me from the valve cover 1996-8wl01029 3116 tcp 403d zd ark 95,000 miles have owed since 2007 with 40,000 I'm at work I can get more needed numbers this evening.

3/6/2018
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Does the yellow check engine light come on when the key is turned to the on position?
comes on ,stays approx. 8-10 seconds
Thanks for the information.
Since the light comes on. I would like to pull the two digit flash codes by using the cruise control switches. If you have never done this. Here is how.Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.Let me know what two digit code you get and I can tell you what the problem is.
thanks, I'll get the code
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
sir, good morning the code is 55 checked it a few times, sorry for delay in responding not able get site up at home, only going to be slower heading to Daytona till 13 or 14th, lucky the Motorhome has 40 series Detroit seems to be running well, if you could post the next check i'll check as soon as i can, thanks for your patience. and really thank you for the help . ***** *****, maryland
Thanks for the information.
Code 55 indicates no codes in the ecm.
So the engine is currently cranking but not starting? Correct ?
will fire with ether, but no hint of smoke any color , when cranking . tanks full thanks
Thanks for the information.Since the yellow check engine light comes on, this indicates the engine ECM is receiving power and functioning. There are several things that can cause a crank no start on this engine.The first is a low or no fuel pressure condition. The engine needs at least 25 psi to start. If it is low, the injectors will not get filled and it will not start. If the engine has a hand priming pump, and it gets stiff when operating it, the engine has enough pressure to start. If there is no hand priming pump, I would connect a psi gauge and measure the pressure. If the pressure is low, I would change the fuel filters first if you haven’t already. If it is still low, I would suspect a failed fuel pressure regulator on the back of the head or a weak fuel transfer pump. The pump is located on the back of the HEUI pump.Second is a low injection actuation pressure. This is the high pressure oil system that activates the injectors. The engine needs at least 870 psi to start. If it is low, you have either a failed Injection actuation pressure control valve in the HEUI pump, a weak HEUI pump, a high pressure oil leak at an injector, or a faulty Injection actuation pressure sensor. To test the sensor, just unplug it. If the engine starts, the sensor is bad. It has 3 wires and is located on top of the engine near the front and screwed into the head.Third is a failed engine speed timing sensor. Your engine has two. They are located on the driver’s side of the engine on the back of the engines front cover under the HEUI pump. The bottom sensor is the primary start sensor. If it has failed, the engine will be hard to start. The top one is the primary run sensor. They come as a pair.Next is low battery voltage to the ECM while cranking. The ECM must have at least 7.5 volts DC to operate. I have seen weak batteries or a poor connection cause low voltage. You could have a poor connection at the batteries or starter.Next is a faulty engine ECM. The ECM has an injector driver module inside. This is what powers the injectors. If it fails, the ECM will log injector codes for all the injectors.Lastly are worn injectors. This is very rare but possible.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert