Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 1998 freightliner FLD. the speedometer will

I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 freightliner FLD. the speedometer will occasionally quit working and then start working again while I am going down the road. It doesn't go to zero but down to 15-20 mph depending on how fast I am going

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

1998 freightliner FLD 120 SN 2FV8F0Y90WA952258

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

The tachometer does the same thing also. Although not at the same time.

3/6/2018
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. What is the engine and transmission models in this truck?

Common problems with loss of speedometer signal or erratic speedometer signal are either from the speed sensor itself losing signal at the tail of the transmission or wiring harness problems throwing off the sensor signal back to the gauge. If the wiring and sensor both check out good you will then be looking at a problem with the gauge itself. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time for helping on the site. Five star ratings in bonuses are always greatly appreciated
Daniel Wilson