Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2013 Cummins isx 12. Getting coolant in oil. Not enough to…

2013 Cummins isx 12. Getting...
2013 Cummins isx 12. Getting coolant in oil. Not enough to make the oil milky but loosing coolant and oil test shows coolant in oil. Can I get some help to isolate the problem
3/6/2018
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Ok
What you will need to do with this is drain the engine oil and remove the engine oil pan. It will be a good idea to have the truck up on some blocking to allow enough room to easily roll underneath it. Then do a pressure test on the cooling system and you will be able to look up from underneath the engine to see if you have coolant coming in from a leaking cylinder liner or if it is coming from another source. This is what is going to help pinpoint the location of where your coolant loss is coming from mixing with the crankcase oil. This can be a head gasket issue or it can be a cylinder liner or liner seal issue.... Let me know the results and if you need further help with this. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answers is that is how the site credits my time for helping on the site. Five star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Do you know if this engine has a oil cooler

It does but if it were the oil cooler you would have oil in the radiator since oil pressure is higher than coolant system pressure.

That what I was thinking. We pulled pan and pressured up on coolant system and found no leaks. Where else can we get coolant into oil?
Thanks for the update. It can't be possible for an oil cooler to leak some when the engine is off so pressure testing the oil cooler would be a good idea. Also another potential cause is the injector O-rings allowing coolant to pass. And the least likely however if it is only showing up in oil samples there may be small traces of coolant that can get past the EGR cooler and possibly sucked in through the intake enough to show up in small traces in an oil sample however when a EGR cooler fails you will have white smoke out of the exhaust and then you will have white ash deposits on the exhaust pipe connections and manifold.
I found some wetness inside the charge sir cooler line that goes to the intake side of the engine. Completely dry on turbo side. What do u think

Thanks for the info. I would check the EGR cooler, Click here for an FYI

Tech tip video

This test overnight is much better than removing it for pressure testing that most shops will do.

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Daniel Wilson
I apologize. Forgot to rate for you. Replaced egr cooler