Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2014 petrbilt 389 isx commins 13 speed, we change…

Customer Question
I have a 2014...

I have a 2014 petrbilt 389 isx commins 13 speed

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

We change the pedal sensor last night,and my driver his calling me whith the issue,the zig zag sighn comming on , and he cant drive

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Traction control light comming on , he cant go more than 3 rd gear ,shuts off

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
How long does it takes
3/6/2018
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. What are the complete fault code numbers you have logged in the ECM memory?

I have a two cods
2623 and 3513
We change already two pedal sensors
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago

2623 ACCELERATOR PEDAL OR LEVER POSITION SENSOR 2 CIRCUIT - VOLTAGE ABOVE NORMAL OR SHORTED TO HIGH SOURCE

DESCRIPTION The accelerator position sensor is a hall-effect sensor attached to the accelerator pedal. The accelerator position sensor varies the signal voltage to the electronic control module (ECM) as the accelerator pedal is depressed and released. Low signal voltage is received by the ECM when the accelerator pedal is at 0 percent. A high signal voltage is received by the ECM when the accelerator pedal is at 100 percent. The accelerator pedal position circuit contains an accelerator pedal position 5 volt supply, accelerator pedal position return, and accelerator pedal position signal. The accelerator pedal contains two position sensors. These position sensors are used to measure the throttle position. Both position sensors receive a 5 volt supply from the ECM. A corresponding signal voltage based on the position of the accelerator pedal is then received from the ECM. The signal voltage for accelerator position 1 is twice as much as the signal voltage from the accelerator position 2. When the ECM senses a signal voltage lower than the normal operating range of the sensor, this fault code is set. Note: The sensor connection pin numbers shown in the diagram above are OEM specific and those provided are for example only. Refer to the OEM diagram for correct pinouts. SHOP TALK Verify the electronic control module (ECM) calibration is correct. If necessary, recalibrate the ECM. Newer engines use two throttle position sensors to determine the throttle position. Older throttle pedals used a single throttle position sensor and an idle validation switch. If fault codes 132 and 1241 are active when the accelerator pedal is in the idle position, and Fault Code 132 goes inactive, and Fault Code 1239 goes active when the throttle is depressed, the incorrect throttle pedal has been installed in the vehicle. A throttle pedal with two acceleration position sensors should be installed. If troubleshooting an intermittent accelerator problem, the accelerator pedal position sensor 2 signal voltage can be monitored with diagnostic tool, while flexing the harness to locate the intermittent connection. Possible causes of this fault include:

- Accelerator pedal position 2 signal circuit shorted to battery or 5 volt supply

- Open accelerator pedal return circuit in the harness or connections

- Accelerator supply shorted to battery

- Failed accelerator pedal position sensor

Note: The three wires in the accelerator position sensor circuit must be twisted together. COMPONENT LOCATION The accelerator pedal position sensor is located on the accelerator pedal. Refer to the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) troubleshooting and repair manual.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago

The sensor supply 5 of the electronic control module (ECM) provides a 5 volt supply for the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter differential pressure sensor, remote accelerator, tachograph speed sensor, and accelerator position sensor 2. The remote accelerator and tachograph speed sensor are optional original equipment manufacturer (OEM) components.Low voltage on the 5 volt supply wire can be caused by a short circuit to ground in a supply wire, a short circuit between a supply wire and a return wire, a failed sensor, or a failed ECM power supply.

CODEREASONEFFECT

Fault Code: 1696
PID: S232
SPN: 3513
FMI: 4/4
LAMP: Amber
SRT:

Sensor Supply 5 - Voltage Below Normal or Shorted to Low Source. Low voltage detected at sensor supply number 5 circuit in the OEM harness.

Severe derate in power output of the engine. Limp home power only.

The best way to isolate a failed sensor is by unplugging aftertreatment diesel particulate filter differential pressure sensor, remote accelerator, tach/ speed sensor, coolant level sensor, etc. and if the code goes inactive replace the sensor you unplugged.

If all checks okay have the ECM reflashed and updated to reset it to factory settings. Sometimes it is a software glitch causing the problem if you have checked all other things with no resolve.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Also 6337 cod
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago

Fault Code: 6337
PID(P):
SPN: 862
FMI: 4/4
Lamp: None
SRT:

Crankcase Breather Filter Heater Circuit - Voltage Below Normal, or Shorted to Low Source. Low signal voltage detected at the crankcase breather heater circuit.

None on performance.

The crankcase breather heater is mounted to the crankcase breather filter housing.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.