Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2016 Pete 389. VIN 408666. Both Lo beam headlights went out…

2016 Pete 389. VIN 408666...
2016 Pete 389. VIN 408666. Both Lo beam headlights went out at same time. Driver Info Screen shows code for low beam headlight malfunction. Hooked up laptop, code is for no/low voltage to low beams or open circuit. The problem is there are no fuses in either of fuse panels marked for headlights. Looked for a control module and cant find one. Called my local Pete dealer and he said he thought fuses were in kick panel box or out on firewall. He doesn't know where the module might be. I looked in operators manual and there isn't any listing for fuses, fuse boxes, PDM or control module. Can any one help me with location of the fuse, location of module and possibly with a wire diagram.
3/5/2018
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

The headlights are module controlled. There is a fuse panel in the golve box area. You have to remove the whole glove box then remove the cover to the fuse box to access.

The module is behind the dash center area and to the right. It is the hassis node. It sends the light signal out.

If you have the fault with both lights, check the ground. Unplug both lights and cycle the key 8 times or rest the code with the laptop. Then check the pins for the power and ground at the plugs. If you are good on all, then plug one light at a time and see if the bulb is taking the system down.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Thanks for the info. The 385 model fuse box is behind glove box, but not this 389. Only 2 fuse boxes we can find is in left kick panel and left firewall. Any thoughts about where else the fuse may be. We do see the chassis node behind center console, we will ck the wires and connections there, clear code and hook up lights 1 at a time and see what happens. Would like to verify voltage from fuse to node if you can help with it location.
update: with hood connectors disconnected, clear code with laptop. as soon as you turn headlight switch on, low beam light code comes back. My problem is in chassis wiring or node. Would like to find correct fuse for low beams

Misread. Thought I read 385.

Those 389s have issues with the ground wire near the motor mount for the lights. The ground wire will get hot and kick off the module. See if there is issues with that ground wire.

The fuse panel that would have the lights fuse is under the hood on them. I'm presuming you found that one already.

Also, since you had the low beams come back, the fuse is good. The node is shutting down the circuit. it only shuts it down due to high resistance being seen by the node. That was why I mentioned unplugging the lights to cut the resistance and have the node power the lights back on.

Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician