Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a thermo ts-500 that will not switch to electric once…

I have a thermo...

I have a thermo king ts-500 that will not switch to electric once it's connected to the electric cable. Is there a way to reset it or is there a possible problem with the unit?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

It's Thermo King TS-500. I don't know where to find the serial number.

The battery was low on the unit. I connected the electric cable but to no avail. So I connected a battery charger to the unit and was finally able to get the unit to start on the diesel engine. However, it never switched to electric. I've disconnected the cable and check for power at the source. We have power and the cable checks good. I've turned off the unit at the main power switch and still can't get it to switch over to electric.
3/5/2018
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi, I’m Wayne.

I will be assisting you with this issue today.

have you checked the diesel/ele switch

to make sure the switch is good ??

I'm not sure where the diesel/ele switch. I work for a food pantry and am a novice user.
Is that the connection place where I plug in the electric cord to the unit?

Hi

Thank you for the response

yes it will be there or on the control panel

Can you tell me how to test the switch?

Hi

use a voltmeter and go to the back of the switch and make sure the power is switching to the electric side of the switch

Looks like I'm going to have to call the local technician. I'm unable to test the switch.
It has been working so I'm wondering if there's a fuse that may be out?

HI

Thank you for that

inside the control panel on the circuit board are fuses

you check if they are blown

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

We checked the fuses on the control board and they all tested good.

Hi

Thank you for that, fuses are good, then a controller failed

they are black 4-6 wires on each one should be 2-or 3 of them

Morning

Just following up with you

Did my answer help you ??

Wayne, Journeyman
We don’t know how to test the controllers. We feel we are beyond our abilities at this point and are going to call a technician. Thank you for checking up.