Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I just bought a box truck. Its a 2006 Peterbilt. You don't…

Customer Question
I just bought a box...
I just bought a box truck. Its a 2006 Peterbilt. You don't need a CDL to drive it. What do I need to know about driving this in Ohio? Anything special with inspections/DOT or anything else I may need to know?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/5/2018
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 5 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

You might want to check again for you do to need a CDL to drive that. You just don't need a Class A CDL. You need a Class B for it is over 10,000 lbs and it has air brakes. The DOT will take you to jail if you don't have one. I know that from experience (not personally, but from mechanics that were test driving them).

On the inspections, you need to have a certified technician with at least 1 year of experience to do an annual DOT inspection on it. That s required and states there are no safety item issues wit hthe vehicle. Items like the 3 triangles are in the vehicle, the fire extinguisher is within driver reach and mounted, all the lights work, windshield wipers work, brakes are within specifications, no frame damage, fuel leaks, air lines rubbed through, etc.

You'll have to have your DOT number, last 8 of VIN, company, MC number if interstate, company city and state, etc. Just like the truck has.

If you haven't read it yet, I suggest reading the FMCSA rules. It will have all the rules of what you have to be in compliance with for DOT inspections. CLICK HERE to read them. Also, speak to a transportation attorney for a consult on the business side for that is out of my area, like the logging rules (you have to have logs for that size vehicle), urinalysis rules, DOT physical card on the driver, etc. It is the small stuff like that with the paperwork that will hang up a DOT inspection well before the vehicle safety stuff. Just keep the lights working, the vehicle clean and maintained, and the vehicle typically passes. It is the driver that tends to give up the points and closes companies down.

As a shop owner, I have the same rules for only test driving the trucks. Becasue we take them on the road, we have to follow all the same guidelines.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer

I was opted out and opted back in.

Did you have more questions?

FYI, Ohio is like California. They are really strict on the rules there. My dad owned trucks and I got the company in 1998. Had it until 2010 when I decided to get rid of it and just do tech work full time. I was already working the shop keeping the equipment up as well working on outside work as well. My brother has the company now and he said the rules haven't changed. They got stricter. So if you have any other inspection questions or what needs to be done on the truck to make sure it is road ready, pass inspections, etc, just let me know.

Otherwise, be sure to leave a positive rating and when you have something that you need later, just return here and ask. The question never really closes so you can always return later, even a month from now.

Good luck, good day, and be safe!

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?

Do you need more time to resolve the issue?