Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

1 have a 1992 freightliner with the 11.1 l detroit 60

series. i took the truck...
1 have a 1992 freightliner with the 11.1 l detroit 60 series. i took the truck to the shop because i was getting fuel in the coolant ( no coolant getting in the combustion or smoke/vapor on the exhaust. no misfiring). I had this problem before, the solution was to replace the injector o-rings. The shop, Race Ready truck service in Cuero TX and his owner Wesley Schmidt told me that i needed injector cups. I told him about my past experience and told him to replace just the o-rings. he didn't wanted to do just that. he replaced the head and proceeded to tell me that all the injectors were bad and corroded because coolant got into the injectors through the fuel port. he replaced 2 injectors and left my original 4 other injectors. one of them is pouring diesel like crazy, it smokes and the cylinder misfires. I replaced that injector and keeps doing the same thing. I was told that I have to enter the injector serial number into the computer to calibrate it. do you think that is the problem?ThanksGilbert
3/2/2018
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok
First it is never the best policy to put a couple of new injectors with some high mileage injectors but I understand people do this because they don't want to spend the money to do it right and replace the set... There are a few things that can cause poor combustion on one cylinder which one could be low compression however if the compressions good which will allow good combustion in that fuel to burn off from that cylinder.... You could have an injector problem with an injector that is over fueling. This will be indicated by excessive fuel that is unburned noticed in the exhaust port for that cylinder and low exhaust temperatures if you were to test them with a digital temp reader. To confirm if it's the injector itself try swapping with another injector on another position and see if the problem follows the injector. If it stays on the same cylinder you may want to check into a low compression problem on that whole. Reply back with the results and let me know if we need to dig deeper into this. Please take a moment and rate my answers as that is how this site credits my time helping on the site. 5 * and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi. This is what I did. I disconnected the wire for the injector and the smoke stopped. Still missing but no smoke. I am. Thinking it's a wire or may be the computer needs to be reprogrammed. I think this mechanic did something to. It. I'll get somebody to check. It and let you know what happened.

Thanks for the update. If it stays on the same cylinder it is between the ECM and injector harness as a potential problem or a compression issue in that cylinder. Let me know. Pleasure to help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
got it solved . the jakebrake was too tight.
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that you have gotten this resolved. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson