Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Cummins isb shuts down after idle for a few minutes code…

Cummins isb shuts down...

Cummins isb shuts down after idle for a few minutes code 3251, cleaned dpf filters check all sensor tubes ok need help with this one

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

One moment

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

2011 ford F750 with Cummins ISB 6.7

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'M ASE certified truck technician

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok

3/1/2018
cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic

What is the engine serial number?

I'll have this information for you in a couple of mins

ok

ok engine # 73197432, family - BCEXH0408BAH
Model ISB 6.7
hello?
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

When was the last time this engine was calibrated? I suggest getting that first since it is a huge cause for this fault. Also, blocked or restricted exhaust can do it as well. Pull the pip off the front of the DOC and make sure it isn't plugged up. These vehicles are bad on faceplugging.

Aftertreatment Diesel Oxidation Catalyst Intake Temperature- Data Valid But Above Normal Operating Range- Moderately Severe Level

Circuit Description
The aftertreatment temperature sensors are used by the engine control module (ECM) to monitor the engine exhaust temperatures in the aftertreatment system. The aftertreatment temperature sensors are thermistors and change resistance based on the temperature being measured. The ECM provides a 5 volt reference voltage to the sensor. The ECM monitors the change in signal voltage and converts this to a temperature value.

When the exhaust temperature is low, the sensor or thermistor resistance is high. The ECM signal voltage only pulls down a small amount through the sensor to ground. Therefore, the ECM senses a high signal voltage or a low temperature. When the exhaust gas temperature is high, the sensor resistance is low. The signal voltage pulls down a large amount. Therefore, the ECM senses a low signal voltage, or a high temperature.

Component Location
The aftertreatment DOC intake temperature sensor is located in the aftertreatment system, between the outlet of the turbocharger and intake of the exhaust aftertreatment. Refer to the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) service manual.

Conditions for Running the Diagnostics
This diagnostic runs continuously when the engine is running and active regeneration of the aftertreatment DPF is not occurring.

Conditions for Setting the Fault Codes
The ECM detects that the temperature at the diesel oxidation catalyst intake is greater than 687°C [1269°F] for 60 seconds.

Action Taken When the Fault Code is Active
The ECM illuminates the red STOP ENGINE lamp immediately after the diagnostic runs and fails.
A default value for the aftertreatment DOC intake temperature sensor reading is used.
Active and stationary (parked) regeneration will be disabled.
Engine shutdown will occur 30 seconds after the fault becomes active. In all calibrations, except for emergency vehicle calibrations, engine shutdown will occur after 30 seconds, if engine protection shutdown is enabled or disabled. Engine shutdown will not occur in emergency vehicle calibrations.
Conditions for Clearing the Fault Code
To validate the repair using a Diagnostic Road Test, utilize a route that incorporates both stop-and-go city driving and steady state highway driving. It may be necessary to load the unit for certain diagnostics in the ECM to run.
To validate the repair using a Chassis Dynamometer Test, utilize a routine that incorporates acceleration and motoring events, steady state highway operation, and load. This will simulate normal driving and allow the diagnostics in the ECM to run.
The fault code status displayed by INSITE™ electronic service tool will change to INACTIVE immediately after the diagnostic runs and passes.
The ECM will turn off the red STOP ENGINE lamp after the diagnostic runs and passes.
The “Reset All Faults” command in INSITE™ electronic service tool can be used to clear active and inactive faults.

Shop Talk
This fault code is logged when the ECM has detected a high temperature condition in the aftertreatment system and active regeneration of the aftertreatment DPF is not occurring. The fault code indicates that a secondary fuel source is entering the aftertreatment system and is creating a temperature increase across the aftertreatment DOC and/or aftertreatment DPF.

Possible causes of this fault code include:

Excessive engine oil or diesel fuel being introduced into the exhaust system from the engine
A damaged engine fuel injector causing unburned diesel fuel to enter the exhaust system
The aftertreatment DOC intake temperature sensor malfunctioned in-range
The aftertreatment DPF intake temperature sensor malfunctioned in-range
The aftertreatment DPF outlet temperature sensor malfunctioned in-range
An in-range engine sensor malfunction has occurred, causing excessive fuel to enter the exhaust system.
The aftertreatment system must be inspected after making the appropriate repair outlined in this fault code troubleshooting tree. Progressive damage to the aftertreatment system may have occurred. Remove the exhaust aftertreatment system from the vehicle to inspect it for potential damage and reuse. Refer to the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) service manual.

Reference the appropriate OEM wiring diagram when troubleshooting circuits that utilize wiring supplied by the OEM.

For intermittent power supply and data link communication issues with aftertreatment components, it is highly recommended that the OEM power distribution center fuses and relays be thoroughly checked for loose, missing, or intermittent connections.

Possible Cause:
1) ECM calibration

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

The DPF system is equipped with a diesel exhaust fuel (DEF), filter was cleaned Ana and sensor tubes checked no clogged or broken tubes

Then there is something else going on.

This is the only code you got? What are you using to pull the codes? Any codes from the Ford side if using Insite?

Have you tested the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel pump?

If this has dual tanks, are they even?

that's the only code I'm getting, try clearing it but just come back
Using pro link iq
Could it be a DPF sensor problem?

It's quite possible. With it shutting down right away though, that is throwing me off a bit. Check the sensors and see what they read. See if the temp sensors are reading high on a cold engine. If so, replace the one reading wrong. It could be showing a high temp and the neinge is shutting down to prevent exhaust burnout.

hello Jeremy, sorry for the delay in response. the code that I'm getting relates to an exhaust pressure not sure if its a exhaust temperature
what should the reading be on the temperature sensor at cold

At cold, it will read ambiant temps. At idle, around 220 to 300 degrees. Then it goes up from there.

The pressure is harder to diagnose because if the turbo actuator is acting up, it can cause the pressure to be too low to push through the filter and code out. That one needs the actuator test done to see if it is causing the issue.

Ok, the code is saying the exhaust pressure severe out of range
I Will go through a series of checks and tests and let you know and we go from there, thanks

sound good

Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician