Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Would a failing fuel pump on a N14 celect plus cause fine…

Would a failing fuel...

Would a failing fuel pump on a N14 celect plus cause fine metal shavings in the fuel filter. I have very fine particles of possibly aluminum in my filter

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cummins N14 celect plus , engine s\n 11983466 . CPL 2591

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes fixing myself. Some loss of power but noticing metal particles in fuel filter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment

3/1/2018
Technician: cumminsdr, Mechanic replied 4 years ago
cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic

Have you confirmed the particles are really metal.? Did you use a magnet to see if they stick did you have a fuel sample done to confirm the substance instead of guessing? . .. The fuel filter is BEFORE the fuel pump so if there is debri it is most likely from the fuel tank. If the fuel pump was to break down and allow metal in the system you would also have 6 bad injectors as they cannot tolerate debris. Let me know.

They did not magnetize . Wasn't sure if it could enter through the return side. This truck only has the one davco filter with the visible canister. Cannot see anything in the tanks through the filler with flashlight. We fuel at the same location and no problems from the other 7 trucks.

Ok .... no 2 trucks are the same its about the unit not the fuel, You should have a FS1000 FUEL FILTER before the fuel pump too not just the davcao. The davco is first in line then the on engine fuel filter is between the fuel pump and ecm cooling plate .The fuel pump gears and guts are metal not aluminum. You need to start with a fuel sample they will tell you exactly if it is Al, wear metals, foreign substance ect. the filter are doing their job. if something was to pass then you would have more issues (failed injectors, ALL)

cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic