Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I own a 2001 Toyota Tundra Limited w 125,000 miles on it. A…

I own a 2001 Toyota...
I own a 2001 Toyota Tundra Limited w 125,000 miles on it. A year or so ago, while the truck was fully loaded (maybe overloaded) with wood in bed, me, my wife and dog, I was required to panic stop to avoid a left-hand turning car in front of me. Really. Panic. Stop, Billowing smoke and a long streak of rubber off all four tires.
After this, the brakes started to flutter and vibrate. Could not tell if it was the brakes or the tires.To complicate the issue, Toyota then replaced the frame on the truck. Upon picking it up post replacement the shimmy in the breaks was now a full, hard, vibration. Toyota reworked the discs twice and finally simply gave up, saying this is the best they could do. This hard shutter has over time softened to a moderate vibration. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not.I've read quite a few forums around Tundra brakes, seems the front set might be undersized. So, here are the options:1. Discs damaged in the lock-up panic stop.
2. Flat patches on tires that create vibration.
3. Front discs over torqued, warped by wrench when wheels put back on the truck.
4. Toyota suggests the aftermarket wheels (16 inch, OEM size) may not be seating, causing the vibration.What should I focus on or should I just replace the brakes, wheels and tires?Bonus question. This truck is a TRD and is raised. I would like to go to 17 wheels. I am concerned if I upgrade the front brakes I may not be able to fit a new wheel on it.Frankly I am asking you as local mechanics don't have the time to listen to all this. Asking for guidance.
2/19/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

You need to take it to a good tire dealer and have the tires checked for roundness. With a panic stop, you flattened a spot on any tire that was locked. It is easy to determine if tires are out of round. A tire is jacked up and a pointer placed against the thread, and the wheel turned. Pointer will show the deviation. Don't do anything until tires are ruled out!

Makes sense to me.

OK> Let me know the result!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Thanks!