Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 1997 international 9300 with a 12.7 ddec 3 engine.

I have a 1997...

I have a 1997 international 9300 with a 12.7 ddec 3 engine. I can not get the cruise control or idle up to work. I have done some research and have changed all the air pressure switches in the dash ,the clutch switch and everything. I plugged it in on the computer and watched everything as i tested it. The clutch shows it getting pushed in or not, the set and resume switch works, the on off switch works, the only thing im getting is that the computer keeps showing that the park brake is released and its not. This is why i changed the air pressure switches in the dash. The is no air leakage or anything there when i took em out. I tested it as i pushed park brake in while switch is out and air came out. set it and air stops. I have replaced the TPS , air pressure switches in dash, clutch switch, speed sensor on tranny, new park brake valve assembly, and everything you can think off. This truck is completely rebuilt. i put about 45k into it . The only thing not new is the engine. Its a project truck. The only weird thing i come across is that when you push the yellow knob in the brakes wont release all the way untill you bump the red knob for just a sec. Its not the valve as it did it with the previous one and i put a new one in thinking its the problem. Is there something im missing here?? im ready to pull my hair out on this one.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok how are you connecting me ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

No nothing as of right now

2/18/2018
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

There should be a separate switch for the park brake application an release. Try jumping the wiring to see if you can bypass the switch and get it to change status. If not and the switch and wiring test good, it points to a possible software related issue requiring updates/reflashing/ or parameter changes. Let me know

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

I have allready tried that.This would be one of the switches i already changed on the little manifold in the dash.
I believe there is only 3 switches on this truck related to air pressure unless im missing them. Is there a way to figure out what wires would go to these switches from the Vehicle interface harness connector? this way they can be ohmed and checked for continuity? Detroit diesel only gives labels of digital input and a number. That tells me nothing of what switch goes to what wire. the number on the wires have faded off. Its also hard to just randomly ohm wires as international breaks the ground current on their trucks and not the hot. So im back to square 1. The parameters and everything has already been checked. Its something that is getting over checked. The weird thing is that this unit dont release the park brake all the way after you push the yellow knob in. you have to push the red one in for just a split sec then it releases good. But even so the cruise should work going down the road and it dont.
Im thinking we have a bare wire and its touching somewhere. Those switches cant be jumped if they are normaly closed switches. that means when it gets air pressure then it breaks current. unplugging it dont change anything either. so i would like to figure out which wire goes where so i can test them or run a new wire and see if it resolves the issue. Vin for the truck is VC034641

Click on this link for the diagrams. OHM out the Input at at the ECM plug to the switch wiring. Use a jumper extension wire to reach to verify continuity and then also check each one to ground. Tag them as identified for input locations or mark a copy of the diagram on the switch side.

Service info

Daniel Wilson