Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a freightliner with a cat c7 engine, will not start.

Customer Question
I have a freightliner...

I have a freightliner with a cat c7 engine, will not start. Turns over fine. Power and ground at ecm. Flash codes are 58. Cat et shows cold start and no engine speed. Replaced speed sensors and fuel regulator. Check engine light cycles on with key but the stop engine light does not come on at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2006 freightliner m2 with cat c7. Last 6 of vin is w46705

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Fuses good. Filters changed. Fairly new injection pump and transfer pump.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/17/2018
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 4 months ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Since the yellow check engine light comes on, this indicates the engine ECM is receiving power and functioning. There are several things that can cause a crank no start on this engine.The first is a low or no fuel pressure condition. The engine needs at least 25 psi to start. If it is low, the injectors will not get filled and it will not start. If the engine has a hand priming pump, and it gets stiff when operating it, the engine has enough pressure to start. If there is no hand priming pump, I would connect a psi gauge and measure the pressure. If the pressure is low, I would change the fuel filters first if you haven’t already. If it is still low, I would suspect a failed fuel pressure regulator on the back of the head or a weak fuel transfer pump. The pump is located on the back of the HEUI pump.Second is a low injection actuation pressure. This is the high pressure oil system that activates the injectors. The engine needs at least 870 psi to start. If it is low, you have either a failed Injection actuation pressure control valve in the HEUI pump, a weak HEUI pump, a high pressure oil leak at an injector, or a faulty Injection actuation pressure sensor. To test the sensor, just unplug it. If the engine starts, the sensor is bad. It has 3 wires and is located on top of the engine near the front and screwed into the head.Third is a failed engine speed timing sensor. Your engine has two. They are located on the driver’s side of the engine on the back of the engines front cover under the HEUI pump. The bottom sensor is the primary start sensor. If it has failed, the engine will be hard to start. The top one is the primary run sensor. They come as a pair.Next is low battery voltage to the ECM while cranking. The ECM must have at least 7.5 volts DC to operate. I have seen weak batteries or a poor connection cause low voltage. You could have a poor connection at the batteries or starter.Next is a faulty engine ECM. The ECM has an injector driver module inside. This is what powers the injectors. If it fails, the ECM will log injector codes for all the injectors.Lastly are worn injectors. Over time the injectors can wear if they have a lot of hours on them. To verify, I like to check AC to the injectors while cranking. You should have between 20-40 AC while cranking. If you do, and you have good fuel pressure, the injectors are worn.Most often when these things are happening there will be diagnostic codes in the ECM. If your engine has cruise control switches, you can pull the codes. If you have never done this, let me know. I can get you the procedure.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Only code I can get is 5-8. That includes through cat et. There is also no reading on tachometer. Initially there was a no engine speed fault, so I replaced the speed sensors, cleared code and still nothing.
Thanks for the information.
Code 58 is a J1939 code. It can not keep the engine from starting.
Did the engine just not start one day? Or did it shut down while driving?
Not totally sure. Has been running fine, was idling before it this and not sure if it just shut down or if the shutdown timer shut it down, and hasn't fired up since. Also, no exhaust from pipe and no hint of firing with or without starting fluid
Have you checked fuel pressure while cranking? You could have a bad fuel pump.
Right around 20-25psi. I can use the primer pump while turning over and it hits around 40psi. Is there anyway of testing the injection pump? It's only approx 1 year old, don't want to replace if I don't have to.
On a side note, should the stop engine light not cycle on with the check engine light Also?
Thanks for the information.
That’s plenty of fuel pressure to start.
No the red light should not come on. Only the yellow.
If your not getting an rpm. And you have changed the rpm sensors. Your cam gear may have walked off the camshaft.
I would not suspect the Heui pump as you should have a code for that is it was bad.
I won't be back at the truck until tomorrow now.
Ok. Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Is the cam gear a press fit? Or would the front cover need to be removed to access?
the gear presses onto the cam. To access. The front cover would need to be removed.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.