Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have a 2007 international 9400 Truck with cat engine got a…

Customer Question
I have a 2007 international...
I have a 2007 international 9400 Truck with cat engine got a few fault codes I need help with
Submitted: 13 days ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
2/6/2018
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 13 days ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
What codes do you have?
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
ID FM CNT
31 5 069 02 12778 02 1
Thanks for the information.
Are these flash codes? If so. All flash codes are two digits.
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Not sure
I see. Where did you get these codes?
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
It’s 3 different codes69-02- 127
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Off of a scan gaugeService engine light is on
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
each line from first message is a SEp code
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Such as31-05-0Then another69-02-127Last one78-02-1
I see. Thanks for the information.
Unfortunately some scan tools can not read Cat engines that well. Sorry. Those numbers you gave are not on the Cat code list. You may need to try pulling the codes by using the cruise control switches. If you have never done this. Here is how.Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.Let me know what two digit code you get and I can tell you what the problem is.
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Ok I will go check
10-4. Let me know what you come up with.
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Will do looks like I’ll need to take it for a spin .. nothing coming up but 55 just turning key on and check light is out now so I want to put it on the road and get a code for you .. it may be tomorrow is that ok
that’s perfectly fine. See you tomorrow
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Looks like a 93 Code
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Seems to have loss of power and sputtering some pulling empty trailer
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Little white smoke in the sputter
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 12 days ago
Thanks for the information.Code 93 is defined as an intake valve actuation faulty on either cylinder 3 or 4. I see these a lot.
You have either a faulty solenoid, faulty wiring to the solenoid. Or a bad Iva housing.
I would inspect the harness first. If ok. I would change the Iva solenoid. They come as a pair. If problem continues. The Iva housing will need to be replaced.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Would you replace injectors too or no
You could but I would wait. They are most likely ok. Injectors can’t cause this code.
However. If they have a lot of miles. It may be a good time to change.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Do you got a part number on that valve actuator on a 2007 c15 Avery
I do.The solenoid kit is Cat part number 10R-7302Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
2 of those per cylinder correct
10r 7302 .. is that a kit of 2 I’m seeing ..
the shop I’m dealing with wants $815 a set that seems high to me .. what is your experience on the priceI bought the sensor today , along with the harness and some other part on the outside of the valve cover ..
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Injector 2 and 5 did not show any diffence in the Injector Cut our year today on the computer when I saw it this morning .. does this mean they are bad .. they are saying I need to buy injectors but I’m not so sure the rest made a sound difference in the engine .. just not 2 and 5
Two comes in the kit. One for each cylinder 3 and 4 *****to much for the solenoid kit. Wow.
I would replace the solenoids first and see how it runs.
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
I will pay you at the end and leave you a great review .. I just want to keep you handy until I get this completed .. because I feel they are feeding me a line of BS for more money . I think I agreed to pay $40 when they asked on this site a
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Is the Solinoud kit .. the actual actuator kits cause they are saying 815 for each actuator kit and they say I need 3
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Which looking up your part number I find the price about around half what they quoted me
Ok sounds good. Yeah sounds like bs to me.
They are quoting the complete Iva housing. You may only need the solenoids.
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
What’s the part number on the housings do you know by chance and does that include the sylonoids or is that sep
a new housing comes with solenoids. Sorry. I do not have the housing part number. Sorry.
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
I asked to start with the harness like you said .. and then they showed me the sensor and the other part out side the valve cover so I figured that’s fine let’s those
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Do the housings normally go bad ..?
Both the solenoids and housing can go bad.
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Will the harness wire being bad show bad injector in 2 and 5 possibly ? My hope is the harness fixes the cylinder cut out issue
If the harness is bad and causing a miss. There should be fault codes for the injector or injectors.
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
No injector codes .. just IVA codes they say
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
2 and 5 did not change the engine sound on the cut out test so they determined they was bad but no code
I see. I would just suspect the Iva.
A bad injector on the mechanical side will not have a code. Codes will o my come when an injector solenoid is bad.
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Git ya thanksWill know more tomorrow ... do you know a aftermarket injector instead of CAT by chance ..
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
Sorry. I only use Cat injector. Sorry. I do not know if any good aftermarket ones.
Customer reply replied 11 days ago
The actuator #3 was showing bad when plugged in I think that’s what you said code 93 was too ..So I’ve decided to change to harness now and the #3 act . I had 2 injectors showing bad on cut out test #2 and #5 and I’m guessing they are saying #1 is weak .. cause no engine sound change when it’s cut out .. .. does that sound correct ..Once this is changed my loss of power should be restored . Correct ?Any thing else you’d consider doing once I have it opened up other than a over head .Thanks fir all your help
Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Both harnesses ..
Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Also bought new studs
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 11 days ago
Thanks for the information.
Yes that’s correct.
Once the code 93 is gone. Full power will be restored.
These engines derate Power when an Iva code is present.
Customer reply replied 11 days ago
They say only the one was showing bad out of 3 actuators so I bought the whole thing housing and all .Will the presence of 2 injectors help any with power also ? Cause I’m thinking it would be running off 2 less cylinders but I don’t know mechanics .. lolWould you replace the injector #1 at all
Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Here’s a question cause I might be getting taken for a ride by the shopWill the truck show a code if the injectors are bad ? Or no
Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Cause they gave me no code just told me the cut out test showed them 2 and 5 were bad and 1 might be weak but no codes just the 93 code I gave you is only code thrown
Bad injectors will not always show a code. They only show a code when the injector solenoid is bad. If the mechanical side of the injector is bad. There will be no code. If you had it fail a cutout Test. The injectors are most likely weak.
Customer reply replied 10 days ago
I got to the shop . They say I should replace the large wiring harness that goes to the ECM . They say it’s the original one and looks like oil is I a connector they saidWhat’s your recommendation on thisLet it go or replace
Customer reply replied 10 days ago
Sounded like a money ploy to me .. 5 hrs labor they say .. I would get the harness myself so I’d pay them labor but just wondering if it’s nedded
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 10 days ago
I have seen oil in harnesses before. If the harness is not giving any problems. I would not replace.
Customer reply replied 10 days ago
Ok thank you
Customer reply replied 10 days ago
Thinking about it .. sometimes the gauges will cycle going down the road and oil pressure light will come on suractic .. not often maybe 3-4x a month totalIs this caused by that harness or no
I would not suspect the harness is causing that. Most often when it’s a harness the problem is constant.
Customer reply replied 10 days ago
How many sensors are under the cover
Such as oil pressure etc .. I’m thinking a OP sensor might be pushing the oil up
There are not any sensors under the valve cover. Only 6 injectors. 6 Iva solenoids and 3 Jake solenoids.
Cat Man
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert