Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Have a bad c7 kal engine what is the difference between it…

Have a bad c7...

Have a bad c7 kal engine what is the difference between it and a fmm c7...i know that they are military spec & seem to have higher HP. Is it possible/difficult to make it same as a kal.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

Sterling L8513 2005. cat c7

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thank you

2/4/2018
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 4 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
The biggest difference is the FMM is a 24 volt ecm where the KAL is a 12 volt. To use it. The ecm and electronics of the FMM will need to be changed.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Can I switch the ecm and electronics from the kal & how difficult/time consuming is that
you can. That’s really the only option to put it in a 12 truck.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
do you have any experience with these fmm engines...they all seem to have low miles & higher HP...do you happen to know what use they may have had in the military. thanks
they were used in several style military tactical vehicles. The iron in it is the same as the Kal with an hp of 275 or higher. If your KAL is less than 275 hp. It has different iron.
My Cal has a rating of 275. When you say iron does that mean the block Or other components. I had no idea that the sub 275 were that much different. Thank you so much
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
By iron I mean pistons, camshaft, turbo, and injectors.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert