Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 97 Ford Louisville dump truck has a m 11 Cummins…

I have a 97 Ford...
I have a 97 Ford Louisville dump truck has a m 11 Cummins I’m getting 3 codes 128 251 4 sid-128 190 10 pid -128 254 12 sid any idea what it could be ????
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/3/2018
Technician: cumminsdr, Mechanic replied 4 years ago
cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic

What is the engine serial number?

34820172

Thank you You have the fault for a bad ECM it must be replaced See fault 111 below. You need to transfer info from the old ecm to a new one so you can remove the ecm from the engine and bring it to your local Cummins or shop so they can properly calibrate and transfer the info from the old ecm to the new one. Please take a moment to Rate/Accept my service. Thank You

Fault Code: 121
PID(P): 190
SPN: 190
FMI: 10

No engine speed signal detected at one pair of pins, either pins 1 and 15 or pins 11 and 14 of the sensor harness.

None on performance.The engine position sensor is located above the accessory drive

CodesReasonEffect

Fault Code: 111
PID(P): S254
SPN: 629
FMI: 12

Error internal to the ECM related to the memory hardware failures or internal microprocessor communication failures.

Engine might die. Possible no start.This fault code can only be caused by an internal ECM problem. There are no repairs possible for the module.

CodesReasonEffect

Fault Code: 434
PID(P): S251
SPN: 627
FMI: 4

Battery voltage at pins 20, 21, 22, and 23 of actuator harness connector (relative to return pins 9, 25, and 27 of the actuator harness connector) fell below 6.2 VDC for a fraction of a second or electronic control module (ECM) was not allowed to power down correctly (retain the battery supply voltage for 3 seconds) after keyswitch OFF.

Possibly no noticeable performance effects or possibility of the engine dying or difficulty in starting the engine.

As for the engine position It could be because if the internal errors in the ecm or it is really bad. Remove the connector from the sensor check for oil in the connector from the sensor if there is oil the sensor is bad and allowing oil to pass into the harness. If you notice oil in the ecm connectors when removing the ECM then you have oil migration thru the engine harness and it MUST be replaced.

Ok are we talking about cam sensor truck is running great check engine light only come on when it setting and idling ?

technically its not a cam sensor but an engine position sensor. and with a 111 fault code the ecm will need to be replaced either now or after your towed back from a run. The ecm is bad

And what fault code are you getting when the engine is idling ?

The same ones

well my suggestion is replace the (EPS) The "cam sensor" and if you still have the issue the ECM is next

Ok will do that tomorrow if ecm is bad what the best way to go I hear u can send it out and have it repaired or get one online or new one at Cummins what your input on it thanks john

Just get the recon ecm from Cummins it has a warranty unlike the other rebuild my ecm sites. As i said , just remove your ecm take it to cummins with you buy RX (recon) ecm and let them transfer the info from your old one to the new one.

Ok been running a hour no codes or check engine light on it was sensor it had oil in the plug thanks john

Ok great make sure that Oil did not reach the ecm thru the harness. As i said it would need to be replaced as well as the ecm if oil is found.

Ok thanks

Please take a moment to Rate/Accept my service . Thank You

cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic