Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have a 2013 international prostar. It recently started…

I have a 2013 international...
I have a 2013 international prostar. It recently started killing all power to my auxiliary power cb, cigarette lighter, bunk lights etc. any idea what it could be?
1/21/2018
Don
Don, Journeyman

hi there my name is don

i believe that there is a recall on your model check this out first if not we can return to the question here is the link and you will not be charged until i push answer and you see the rating request come up

let me know

Don

http://wemakeitsafer.com/vehicle-recall/International-Prostar-Recall-4705138-2013#RecalledProductInformation

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m unable to take it to a dealership and need to get this truck going so my driver doesn’t quit. Any help would be appreciated.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where should I start to check?

hi there thanks for that great information

are the items you mention quiting one at a time or all at once

it could be the connectors where the harnesses plug in to the fire wall see if any of those are loose or corroded undo them and see if they are green i would get some contact cleaner at napa or autozone take all the plugs apart and clean the contacts

do you have a inverter under the bunk as well ?

heres the recall

2014-10-31(Published by NHTSA on 2014-12-06)

Recall Summary:Navistar, Inc. (Navistar) is recalling certain model year 2010-2015 International Lonestar vehicles manufactured October 12, 2009, to June 16, 2014, and 2009-2015 International ProStar vehicles manufactured December 16, 2008, to June 20, 2014. In the affected vehicles the electrical harness that supplies power to the HVAC system may not be of sufficient size for the electrical load of the circuit. This can result in an increase in resistance and heating at the connectors.

Hazard:An increase in resistance and heating at the connectors could cause a vehicle fire.

Remedy:Navistar will notify owners, and dealers will replace the 60 amp relay and battery harness with a 150 amp relay and battery harness, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin December 22, 2014. Owners may contact Navistar customer service at 1-***-***-****. Navistar's number for this recall is 14516.

Additional Info:Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****), or go to www.safercar.gov.

NHTSA Source:http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallresults.cfm?start=1&SearchType=QuickSearch&rcl_ID=14V688000

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No inverter and yes they quit all at once. While driving if I hit a bump they might come on for any amount of time. But if I hit another bump they might all shut off. No flickering just off. Also my engine break light is flashing

ok thanks for that information

sounds to me like a loose connection or your loosing a ground some where

is your cb aftermarket put in by some one ?

did you check the fuses with a test light

?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I have not checked the fuses they are the big silver ones how do you test those.

plus are they working now or off ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Everything is not working as of an hour ago I went through some sand pulling into the hose almost got stuck the truck was shaking a bit and everything went off it’s been parked ever since then
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When you press the button to turn the sleeper dome on you can hear the relay under the bunk click but no lights ...bulb is good

if you have a meter you can pull them out and check them

they are what is called a slow blow type fuse and once they get hot enough they well blow once they cool down they will re energize you might want to replace those fuses to see if it happen again

that will at least tell you that its either the fuse or the harness

ok so you do have a loose connection or a rubbed through wire

you can try this take the bunk light out using a test light and a good ground see if you have power if you do then it will be a ground problem

phone please

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
http://bodybuilder.navistar.com/General/Documents/svcmanpdf/s08339.pdf

Rate my service by using the stars at the top of the page.

Just Answer can only compensate me for my time and resources after feedback rating thus rating is required Many thanks

Don
Don, Journeyman
Don
Don
Don, Journeyman