Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2003 7.3 powerstroke blowing black smoke when accelerating…

2003 7.3 powerstroke blowing...

2003 7.3 powerstroke blowing black smoke when accelerating and loss of power. New injectors fitted and upgraded garret turbo also fitted.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

2003 Ford f;250 superduty 7.3 powerstroke engine serial number 2N5074896

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

It has been at a diesel fuel injection business for three weeks with no results. HPOP checked, IPR checked, injectors removed and checked again and re installed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Do I have someone available to communicate with.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this stage

1/20/2018
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. What do you have for fault codes logged in the ECM memory? I have a family event today so I may not be able to respond until I get back but we can follow up as needed.

P0603 and P1211 are the two codes which have come up.

P0603 Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error

Potential causes may include:

Battery terminal corrosion or loose connections

Keep Alive Power (KAPWR) circuit wire routing

Open wire in the KAPWR circuit

Damaged PCM, water intrusion / internal fault

Charging system fault

Ignition system fault causing secondary ignition voltage inference

Internal PCM program fault

P1211 code means the ICP pressure is above or below specs You need to monitor the ICP with a scan tool and pressure gauge to see actual ICP pressure. Should expect around 870PSI cranking and up to 400 PSI at high RPM. If its high then its most likely a faulty IPR valve. If its low then its most likely a internal leak at the pump or high pressure rail/injector o rings. Leak test with shop air in the ICP sensor port. Let me know

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson