Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2012 Freightliner Cascaida and we're experiencing…

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 2012 Freightliner Cascaida and we're experiencing some issues with the DEF light. The truck turns on both check engine lights and the DEF light flashes. We pulled codes from the dealership and a lot of sensors came back as unreadable/undetectable. Any advice?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok

1/18/2018
roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

Ok

ok. I need to see some of the codes?? do you have any of the spn fmi???

there have been harness issues with them.

Roy

I dont have the codes with me. I have no clue what an spn fmi is...

that is the code numbers I need.

anyway, take a look at something.

is this a eaton 10 speed??

Roy

it is a 10 speed eaton with a DD15

ok, go under the truck and at the back of the transmission, the ACM harness goes across the rear of the trans on a bracket by where the driveshaft attaches. it is common for that area to break wires in the bundle at that point. the wire toes are very tight and the movement of the harness over time damages the wires.

check for any damage

Roy

Ok, the truck is actually on the road and seems to de driving fine. Attached is a picture of what its doing. Would this cause the truck to loose power? If the harness looks undamaged is there a secondary option I could look at?

yes it will. it will start to derate. it will start at 25% and get to the point it will be 5 mph and the red light.

the only secondary is the codes, I need the codes

Roy

ok sounds like a plan

Roy, I have the document for the codes but it won't let me send a file over 5mb. Do you have an email I can send it to?

post the code numbers here on this forum

Roy

Theres 23 pages and lots of codes...not sure which are relevant but I'll try.

send it to***@******.***

I sent them over email. I'll wait for your response on here.

wow, lots of info

page 19 outlet knock sensor. has 126 counts. thats the code. it may need an outlet knock sensor.

all the rest have only 1 or 2 counts and are old. a common reason for all those other ones is a driver that shuts off the disconnect switch too soon and all thos codes set.

the only one that needs attention is for the outlet knock sensor. common failure.

Roy

Can this be tied into my DEF problems that I'm getting now? The codes were pulled maybe 3 weeks ago and at that time we had no issues with DEF....just occasionally the check engine light would come on and then disappear after a couple of hours. The blinking DEF light that we see now just started about 3 days ago.

thats indicates a problem with the regen system. so the answer is yes

most of those old codes were from back on oct 2017

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

roybelding
Great, let me try swapping this part and seeing if that helps. Thank you for your time Roy!

your welcome

thank you

make sure you do a regen at the completing of the repair. that is the verification of the repair.

Roy

roybelding
roybelding