Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have an eaton FRO16210C transmission in a 2005

I have an eaton...

I have an eaton FRO16210C transmission in a 2005 international 9400i with a c15 cat engine. the problem is the transmission will not shift back down into the low side. Shifter is hung in the high side. It has done this once before when it was extrememly cold like below 20 outside. but when the temperature climbs back up above freezing it shifts fine. The air control module has been changed on top of the transmission but this did not help. Does it have a range valve on the back or a slave valve or maybe the regulator? Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

International truck tractor 9400I, last 8 of vin is 5c000429.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope. hopefully he can figure it out.

1/18/2018
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi Scott

I’m Wayne

I will Be assisting you with this issue today

most times what causes this is the o-ring on the piston

is worn and the cold does not help it gets stiff

and the air by-pass the piston

I suggest to get an o-ring kit and install that

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what piston are you referring too? and where is it located at on this model transmission?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no. i am trying to relay the information on to my driver who is stranded with the truck.

Hi

it is on the back of the trans the cover will be either 3 or 4 bolts

remove the cover it is in there a road service can replace that

Hi

here is a pic the cover is #9

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok. thanks. i am trying to get a road service tech to him now with the parts.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is it easier to reach the cover from inside the cab thru the floor or from under the truck reaching over the transmission?

Hi

under the truck

Wayne, Journeyman
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok i appreciate the help. hope to have him rolling today. i have a tech going to work on it shortly. have a good day.
Wayne, Journeyman