Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have 2003 kw with a cummins isc 8.3. We are replacing the…

I have 2003 kw with...
I have 2003 kw with a cummins isc 8.3. We are replacing the caps fuel pump. It's my understanding that we need tdc on #1 cyl. Engine has alignment marks on fuel pump gear and outer cover has tdc mark around oil filler on accessory drive.what is best procedure to time pump. New pump shaft keyway is vertical.
Engine family 2cexh0505caq
Engine number 46253593
Cpl. 2694
1/17/2018
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Remove the injection pump upper support bracket.

Remove the injection pump tail support bracket

Remove the fuel pump gear access plug. on the gear housing cover

Locate top dead center for cylinder number 1 by barring the engine slowly until the line on the pump gear lines up with the line on the gear cover.

Remove the fuel pump drive gear retaining nut and washer.

Pull the fuel injection pump drive gear loose from the pump driveshaft

Remove the four mounting nuts.

Remove the fuel injection pump

INSTALL

Be sure the engine is at number 1 cylinder top dead center. The fuel pump gear timing mark should align with the top dead center mark on the gear housing.

Clean the fuel injection pump drive shaft with an evaporative cleaner.

Clean the fuel pump gear inside diameter with an evaporative cleaner.

The fuel pump drive gear inside diameter and the drive shaft outside diameter must be clean and dry before installing the gear.

Install the mounting nuts.

Install the fuel injection pump upper support bracket.

Install the fuel injection pump tail support bracket.

Fuel Pump Mounting Nuts44 n.m[32 ft-lb]

Fuel Pump Upper Support Brackets (8.8 or 9.8 bracket capscrews)44 n.m[32 ft-lb]

Fuel Pump Tail Support Bracket (10.9 capscrews)65 n.m[48 ft-lb]

Tighten the fuel injection pump drive gear nut.

Torque Value: 180 n.m [132 ft-lb]

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

We have the timing marks lined up, number 6 intake is about to start opening. #1 seems to be tdc on compression. My main concern was timing pump.
Is any way to have timing marks lined up and be out of time with fuel pump

Both rocker arms on #1 should be loose

Check that the camshaft alignment pin is in the locating groove of the fuel pump drive gear. If this alignment pin is not visible, remove the injection pump, determine the cause of the misalignment and repair or replace the damaged components.If this inspection is due to complaints about engine performance and the problem arose after removing and changing the gear train, inspect timing of the camshaft gear with the crankshaft shaft gear and the camshaft gear with the drive gear of the fuel pump.

Make sure the fuel injection pump is in its TDC position.The fuel injection pump is on the TDC of cylinder No. 1 when the pin of the shaft pin (A) is perpendicular to the top of the accumulator

Daniel Wilson
We are replacing pump, just wanted to make sure we did it right first go around.
Thanks for your time and help.