Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

My 773 was working just fine, then for no reason chit down…

Customer Question
My 773 was working...

My 773 was working just fine, then for no reason chit down just like you hit the kill switch. All lights and buzzers went out and stayed on until the battery was disconnected. On reconnecting battery, all look ok until an attempt to start. Then all lights came on and buzzers until disconnecting the battery again. The poor thing is dead in the water.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Model 773 Ser.No. 500K11604

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that's about it. We checked all the electrical fuses we could find. Double checked the battery leads and put the cab up. All looks OK.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
1/17/2018
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

I await your answer...
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago

Start by testing the battery with a digital tested for bad cells ect to be sure there are no internal battery troubles and it passes load and CCA testing. Check all cables and connections including all grounds( be sure they are clean and tight). If all okay, test for power in and out of the keyswitch in all positions for a possible shorted switch. Be sure power is being turned off at the switch. If so, check all your fuses and your relays. Let me know. We can follow up as needed on here.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Too bad you didn’t note that I had mentioned that we had already checked the battery and connections. Also, there is no key.
Please let me know your qualifications for trouble shooting a Bob Cat 773.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago

"My 773 was working just fine, then for no reason chit down just like you hit the kill switch. All lights and buzzers went out and stayed on until the battery was disconnected. On reconnecting battery, all look ok until an attempt to start. Then all lights came on and buzzers until disconnecting the battery again. The poor thing is dead in the water.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Model 773 Ser.No. 500K11604

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that's about it. We checked all the electrical fuses we could find. Double checked the battery leads and put the cab up. All looks OK."

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago

I was trying to read where you had a digital battery tester connected to test for bad cells... Can you highlight that for me? Also not all 773 have the Deluxe keyless pad and you did not specify you had that option. Yes it is an option. not standard on all machines

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago

Looking and inspecting are different than testing. I am looking at the full shop manual over 500 pages with full schematics... But I will opt out in case there might be a professional that better fits your needs. Good luck. Dont respond back or it will lock back to me.

Daniel,
Thank you for your attempt at resolving the issue. I do think that I will consult someone who is familiar with this equipment. I had hoped that I might be able to connect with a technician who has had some experience with the 773. Good luck with your other attempts with other customers.
Regards, ***** *****
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

What is battery voltage before trying start attempt, and what is it at start attempt? For the engine to stop like the key was shut off, could have been a lack of voltage to the fuel solenoid, which has to have 12 volts to stay engaged.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician