Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

When the clutch pedal is very stiff does that mean it needs…

When the clutch pedal...

When the clutch pedal is very stiff does that mean it needs a new clutch or just an adjustment? it does slip and when engaged while driving it takes a long time to pull off.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

2000 international 4700 yh267857

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet I'm looking for some guidance. I've had this truck for 3 years and has gone through 3 clutches. Im not sure if that is the actual problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/17/2018
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

If the pedal does not have 1 1/2"-2" of free play at the top and is catching towards the top you need an adjustment

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

What if it does have free play but it is stiff and is slipping?
I was reading online about the flywheel and the adjustment plate. Is that something that would fix this?

If the adjustment is okay and it catches close to the middle but slipping it would be a worn clutch... The flywheel should be resurfaced when doing a clutch to be sure it is in specs for long clutch life. Also a faulty pressure plate or poor driving habits can cause early clutch failure.

Does a stiff pedal mean anything though?

Either a linkage problem or problem in the pressure plate can cause a stiff pedal. If the pressure plate it means a new clutch. Disconnect the linkage and be sure it moves freely.

Hi, Did you get this resolved? I see this is still open. Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated. It's been a pleasure working with you on this.

I did I was the clutch everything is good now thanks!

Thanks for the update. Great news. there should be a place to leave a 5 star rating or accept as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site and to close out the question as completed. Its been a pleasure to help

Daniel Wilson