Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

What is the main difference in benefit between a forced

regen and a parked regen?Aftertreatment...
What is the main difference in benefit between a forced regen and a parked regen?Aftertreatment issues is not allowing a parked regen to finish although it starts. Will a forced regen complete it. I believe the cold weather gave me some issues with the aftertreatment. I am just trying to by myself some time until a more permanent solution.
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2018
roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

do you have a scan tool to monitor the regen temps???

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. I am trying to funderstand a store that has something in Stock.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It goes above 200 degrees and then lowers when it fails the regen.

a parked regen and a forced regen are basically the same. they are both commanded by a laptop to clean the dpf filter. if there is an issue, you need to be able to monitor the readings to determine the reason if it is not completing the regen.

are there any codes

what goes above 200 degrees??? the truck temp or part of the regen???

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought a parked regen is done by the driver without a laptop and a forced regen is done with the laptop.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The truck temp goes about 200
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Above 200
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When it's trying to regen

truck temp should not be above 200.

you also need to pull the codes.

some trucks have the ability for the driver to run a regen, yes. it is the same regen that is started by using a laptop with factory software.

there is also a passive regen done by the truck while the operator is driving.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if the parked regen fails, the forced regen will fail too with a laptop? I am trying to get pass the stop engine lamp due to failed regeneration
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will resetting the codes solve the issue to buy me some time?

that is correct.

again, you need to pull codes. you need to find the area of failure for this issue

resetting does nothing as the issue needs to be diagnosed and repairs made.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have the SPN but is it the FMI coded that are needed for specific troubleshooting?

spn is the primary code and the fmi is the failure area.

what is the spn and fmi??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just have the SPN code. I am trying to find a place that has a scanner in the area. It's harder than easy sonce everyone seems to be out of stock.Damn. Pray for me.

what is the spn number

any update??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had to travel three hours there and back to find a new scanner.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Below are the coded that come up before the regenBefore
61 3364 17 (1)- Exhaust Emission controller
61 3364 01 (1)- Exhaust Emission controller
61 5397 31(7)- Exhaust Emission Controller
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
After Regen the above codes remain plus these:After
61 4364 18 (31)
61 4364 01 (32)
61 3226 04 (26)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The third digits in the set is the FMI and the one in parenthesis indicates how many times that fault code appeared.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you give some direction as to what code I should concentrate in first?

year, model and engine???

3226

SPN 3226/FMI 4

DescriptionThis Code Sets When There is a Short to Ground on the SCR Outlet NOx Circuit Between the Sensor and CPU

Monitored ParameterSCR Outlet NOx Sensor

Typical Enabling ConditionsDewpoint Enabled

Monitor SequenceNone

Execution FrequencyContinuous When Enabling Conditions Met

Typical Duration2 Seconds

Dash LampsMIL, CEL

Engine ReactionNone

VerificationParked Regen

Check as follows:

Show/Hide Checkboxes

1. Is the vehicle an EPA10 model?
    1. Yes; Go to step 2.
    2. No; Go to step 4.
  2. Is the Aftertreatment Control Module (ACM) software level 8.7.0.105 with fuel map ZGS 001 or higher?
    1. Yes; Go to step 4.
    2. No; update device software and then Go to step 3.
  3. Clear faults, perform a parked regeneration. Does the fault become active?
    1. Yes; Go to step 4.
    2. No; release the vehicle.
  4. Disconnect the SCR outlet NOx sensor.
  5. Inspect the SCR outlet NOx sensor and harness side connector for bent, spread, or corroded pins. Is any damage found?
    1. Yes; repair as necessary. Verify repairs.
    2. No; replace the SCR outlet NOx sensor. Refer to section "Removal of the GHG14 Selective Catalytic Reduction Outlet NOx Sensor" .

Printed Thu Jan 18 2018 05:51:34 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Copyright © 2018 by Detroit Diesel Corporation. All rights reserved.

4364

504.1  SPN 4364/FMI 1 - EPA10

Selective Catalyst Reduction NOx Conversion Very Low

SPN 4364/FMI 1

DescriptionThis fault code sets when the Aftertreatment Control Module (ACM) detects that the NOx conversion is lower than a calibrated threshold

Monitored ParameterSelective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) Inlet NOx sensor, SCR outlet NOx sensor

Typical Enabling ConditionsDiesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) dosing enabled, 1000 - 1500 rpm, 15 - 100% load, SCR inlet temperature sensor less than 650°C (1200°F), ambient temperature greater than 0°C (32°F), coolant temperature greater than 70°C (158°F), non-regeneration conditions present

Monitor SequenceNone

Execution FrequencyContinuous when enabling conditions met

Typical Duration30 Minutes

Dash LampsMIL

Engine ReactionDerate 25%

VerificationParked Regeneration

Show/Hide Checkboxes

NOTE: SPN 3361/FMI 5 will set when the DEF dosing valve electrical connector is disconnected. The fault code can be cleared using DiagnosticLink after the DEF dosing valve electrical connector is reconnected.

ENGINE EXHAUST

To avoid injury from inhaling engine exhaust, always operate the engine in a well-ventilated area. Engine exhaust is toxic.

HOT EXHAUST

During parked regeneration the exhaust gases will be extremely HOT and could cause a fire if directed at combustible materials. The vehicle must be parked outside.

PERSONAL INJURY

To avoid injury before starting and running the engine, ensure the vehicle is parked on a level surface, parking brake is set, and the wheels are blocked.

ENGINE EXHAUST

PERSONAL INJURY

1. Connect DiagnosticLink® .
  2. Turn the ignition ON (key ON, engine OFF).
  3. Was another emission component-related fault code repaired prior to this step?
    1. Yes; perform a parked regeneration and recheck for the fault code. If the fault code returns, Go to step 4.
    2. No; Go to step 4.
  4. Check for other fault codes. Are there any air management system fault codes present for the Intake Throttle Valve (ITV), Intake Manifold Pressure (IMP), Intake Air Temperature (IAT), turbocharger, etc.?
    1. Yes; diagnose the other fault codes first.
    2. No; Go to step 5.
  5. Are there any Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system fault codes present?
    2. No; Go to step 6.
  6. Are there any other NOx sensor fault codes present?
    2. No; Go to step 7.
  7. Are there any fault codes for the DEF metering unit, DEF pump, or DEF air valve present?
    2. No;Go to step 8.
  8. Are there any ACM temperature or pressure fault codes present?
    2. No; Go to step 9.
  9. Turn the ignition OFF.
  10. Use DEF test strip A0005850202 to check for diesel fuel or oil contamination of the DEF fluid. Refer to section "Checking Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quality" . Do the test strips or visual inspection indicate that the DEF is contaminated?
    1. Yes; for diesel fuel or oil contamination, refer to 13 TS-17 and refer to appropriate Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) literature for DEF tank cleaning/flushing procedures. Refill the DEF tank with new DEF. Verify repair.
    2. No; Go to step 11.
  11. Using a refractometer from the DEF Test Kit W060589001900, measure the DEF percentage. Refer to section "Checking Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quality" . Is DEF percentage between 28% and 36%?
    1. Yes; Go to step 12.
    2. No; flush the DEF system. Refer to section "Flushing of the Diesel Exhaust Fluid System" . Verify repair.
  12. Turn the ignition ON (key ON, engine OFF).
  13. Compare the DEF pressure sensor reading to the barometric pressure sensor reading. Are the readings within 29.6 kPa (4.3 psi) of each other?
    1. Yes; Go to step 14.
    2. No; replace the DEF pressure sensor. Refer to section "Removal of the Diesel Exhaust Fluid Pressure Sensor" . Verify repair.
  14. Perform the DEF quantity service routine. Refer to section "Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quantity Test - EPA10" . Go to step 15.
  15. Monitor the amount of DEF dispensed into the DEF-safe container included in DEF test kit W060589001900. Is the amount of DEF dispensed between 102 and 138 mL (3.7 and 4.5 oz.)?
    1. Yes; Go to step 16.
    2. No; flush the DEF metering unit. Verify repair.
  16. Disconnect the DEF dosing valve electrical connector.
  17. Start the engine.
  18. Run the EPA10 Perform Performance Check - Low Temperature ATD procedure to check the NOx sensors. Refer to section "EPA10 Perform Performance Check - Low Temperature ATD" . Are the Inlet NOx sensor and outlet NOx sensor readings within 50 Parts Per Million (PPM) of each other?
    1. Yes; Go to step 20.
    2. No; replace the outlet NOx sensor. Go to step 19.
  19. Run the EPA10 Perform Performance Check - Low Temperature ATD procedure to validate the NOx sensors are reading correctly. Refer to section "EPA10 Perform Performance Check - Low Temperature ATD" . Are the inlet NOx sensor and outlet NOx sensor readings within 50 Parts Per Million (PPM) of each other?
    1. Yes; Go to step 20.
    2. No; replace the inlet NOx sensor. Go to step 20.
  20. Reconnect the DEF dosing valve electrical connector.
  21. Start the engine and perform a parked regeneration while monitoring the NOx efficiency. Is the NOx efficiency above 70%?
    1. Yes; clear codes and release the vehicle.
    2. No; Go to step 22.
  22. Review the last seven minutes of the parked regeneration log file; is the SCR inlet temperature more than 38°C (68.4°F) lower than SCR outlet temperature?
    1. Yes; Go to step 23.
    2. No; replace the ATD. For a One-box system, replace the DOC/SCR module. For a Two-box system, replace the SCR module. Complete the ATD check list to identify cause of failure.Refer to section "ATD Checklist - EPA07" .
  23. Perform a low temperature Aftertreatment Device (ATD) check using DiagnosticLink to check for a drifted temperature sensor. Refer to section "EPA10 Perform Performance Check - Low Temperature ATD" . Are the SCR inlet and SCR outlet temperatures within 25°C (45°F) during the last five minutes of this test?
    1. Yes; replace the ATD. For a One-box system, replace the DOC/SCR module. This indicates an internal failure of the DOC/SCR module.
    2. No; replace the drifted SCR temperature sensor and verify repair.

Printed Thu Jan 18 2018 05:53:27 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

the 4364 id the one.

outlet knock sensor circuit. you need the factory program to follow the flow chart. it may be the outlet knock sensor or the wiring harness or the diffuser screen. all the tests need to be done to verify the failure.

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2012 freightliner dd15

check the diffuser screen. that is a common issue

Roy

roybelding
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does the low DEF fluid flashing light point to tha as well?It started off with that before everything else occurred even though it had plenty of DEF in the tank. I also use BLUE DEF so I know the quality is good.

yes, all tied together.

thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
By difusor screen, you mean the one on the DEF pump?If so, is it easier just to replace the whole DEF pump because I remember cleaning this out last summer when I had similar problems. Or is that cleaning have to be done on a regular basis?

no, it is in the metering block on the side of the 1 box.

that is the pneumatic check valve. that is part of the def pump.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am sorry your second sentence confuses me.So it's not the DEF pump. I should be focused on the one box. Correct?

correct.

it is not the def pump.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does it go by another name for Freightliner because for the life of me I can't find how the part looks online.

diffuser screen in the metering block.

it does not have to be replaced, it just needs to be cleaned in hot water

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still confused. That sounds like the metering unit by the DEF pump.Are you referring to this:https://youtu.be/q_yCb7e61lEIf not can you send me a pic of what you are talking about. Sorry about the confusion man. I want to start off on the right foot.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I got you. I just had a brain cramp. Thanks. I am.going to replace the whole thing. It's not the first time I have had to clean that.

ok sounds good

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you sir. Taking it apart right now. With your info and some more research, I feel confident that this mat resolve the issue. You deserve every penny of that tip. Thank you for your patience?

your welcome.

glad to help

Roy

roybelding
roybelding