Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I'am working on a 1999 CAT 3406E in a freightliner truck,

Customer Question
Hi, I'am working on a...
Hi, I'am working on a 1999 CAT 3406E in a freightliner truck, the truck has been sitting for 4 months and now it will not start. I scanned the engine there are no active fault codes, I'm almost certain its a fuel supply issue. I have ran a line from the fuel transfer pump into a pail of clean diesel fuel, when I check the ouput pressure coming directly off the pump I get a reading of 40 psi at full cranking speed after about 30 seconds of cranking. When I hook the fuel output line back up to the filter head I cant seem to get the hand pump to get hard after I stroke it several times. the hand primer pump is brand new. any idea what the fuel pressure should be at cranking speed or do you have any ideas why this thing wont start.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
1/17/2018
Technician: cat_engines_only, Other replied 7 months ago
cat_engines_only

Generally, all 3406E, C15, C16 and C18 engines have 80 to 100 psi fuel pressure.

If this fuel transfer pump has a plug for a relief valve on it, the internal pressure regulator is 105 psi. If you have the internal regulator, you can install a gauge deadhead on the line to read the pressure directly on the pump. (not inline but dead into the end of the hose)

Since you are getting such low pressure I would suspect the pump is worn out. Try a deadhead test and if pressure is still low, replace the pump.

If pressure returns to normal, check the pressure regulator on the filter base or return port. (Usually, this is a plug with a 1-inch hex head that contains a pressure check valve in the plug.)

with the pressure guage installed directly into the end of the pump output hose I'm getting between 38 and 40 psi at full cranking speed for 30 seconds.
is the spec of 80-100 psi at cranking speed or the engine at idle?

If you have a small plug on the pump, you can inspect the relief valve to see if it has trash stuck in it. Otherwise, you will need to replace it.

Pressures are for a running engine. I am not certain about what it would be at cranking. 40 psi should be enough for starting but, the engine will be very weak.

Have you checked for air in the supply or return lines?

Have you checked for voltage at the injectors?

I have all the lines on the pump by passed. the inlet line is going into a pail of diesel fuel, the pump output line is hooked directly to the pressure guage.
I will OPT-OUT since I have limited truck experience and am not available until late this evening. Another expert will help you shortly.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

Hi Dave, Did you get this resolved? for some reason this got lost in the archives. If not and if fuel pressure and supply is good and free from leaks sucking air or restrictions check for cam sensor signal at the top left of the front timing cover. A loss of cam sensor signal will disable injection. Fuel pressure should be 70 to 90 psi. If low it could be a faulty transfer pump or pressure regulator. Let me know

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

If you got this resolved let me know as well so we can get this closed out.