Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

4.5L V-6 Power Stroke Diesel (Navistar VT275 Engine) hard…

4.5L V-6 Power Stroke Diesel...
4.5L V-6 Power Stroke Diesel (Navistar VT275 Engine)hard start turns over too many times on cold start
1/16/2018
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. What do you have logged in the ECM for fault codes?

Hard start could be low fuel supply pressure, Low ICP pressure, Low compression, Loss of engine speed sensor signal, slow cranking RPM, etc. to name the most common to check. Check for these things first. Let me know.

no one wants to touch this truck in my area..the one mechanic that works on it doesnt have the current software to get a current code and doesnt want to pay to get the software

What is the year make and model truck?

4.5L V-6 Power Stroke Diesel (Navistar VT275 Engine)

I know that but what truck is it in? What year? What chassis?

I ask as it is helpful in providing you information on diagnostics...

2007 ford LCF box truck
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_LCF

thanks for the info...

Your local International dealer should not turn it away...

Check engine light on?

Low ICP pressure can cause a no start or hard start... Should see around 870 PSI cranking with a manual gauge in the ICP sensor port. Pressure test with shop air teed in to listen for leaks in the high pressure rail. Reseal the injectors and rail if leaks are found. With the IPR full fielded with 12 volts applied you should read full ICP pump pressure up to around 4000 PSI for a good pump. Check for good fuel supply pressure and verify no air in the system.

See if it will start with the ICP sensor unplugged which puts the ECM into a default mode. If it starts and the ICP pressure is good replace the ICP sensor and check the wiring. If okay and fuel pressure is okay, check engine speed sensor signal and cranking RPMS. A faulty speed sensor will cause no start as well as low cranking RPM. Let me know

I posted an offer for a call and diagrams/specs if needed. We can still follow up here as well.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson