Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I replace dpf filters will it hurt anything if. I keep

Customer Question
driving it i been driving...
I replace dpf filters will it hurt anything if. I keep driving it i been driving it like that for about 3 months
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
I replace dpf filters about 6 months ago the code came back on3months later eec61 3720 been driving it every since is it going hurt anything to driving it
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/16/2018
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

What is the engine make and model?

2011 dd15 Detroit
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

02.1  SPN 3720/FMI 15 - EPA07 - EPA10 - GHG14

Diesel Particulate Filter Has Reached the End of its Service Life

Replace DPF and perform the Ash Accumulator reset using DiagnosticLink® .

The DPF lamp will illuminate and code 3720/15 will log when the truck reaches the appropriate mileage interval. This fault indicates that the DPF needs to be replaced and the DPF Ash Accumulator Routine in DiagnosticLink must be completed. This routine can be found in the Actions drop-down menu and must be completed after the DPF has been replaced.

Cleaning accumulated ash from the DPF is a necessary part of vehicle maintenance and is a customer charge. The recommended service is to remove the DPF and replace with a reliabilt® Clean DPF. The reliabilt® Clean DPF has a parts warranty and the same cleaning interval as the original DPF.

NOTE: Using alternate cleaning methods may result in the cleaned DPF failing to reach the next Ash clean interval. The customer may experience damage to the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) or DPF assemblies as a result of alternate cleaning methods.

• Refer to section "Resetting the EPA07 Diesel Particulate Filter Ash Accumulators"
  • Refer to section "Resetting the EPA10/GHG14 Diesel Particulate Filter Ash Accumulators"
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

This fault is normally for a plugged DPF but if the DPF is not plugged then the sensors could be plugged with soot giving false readings. Try having the system reset with the detroit software and then try a parked regen to see if it will resolve. We can follow up as needed.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

The only thing is eventually it will derate your power if ignored too long and Regen will not complete.

How long it takes for it to derate
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

That depends on how much soot is in the DPF and regen is required. Once regen is required and if the truck cant regen due to faults, the derate process will begin. I tried accepting your call offer but there is a problem with your payment... Customer service can help you resolve that before we get on a call. Let me know

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? I see this is still open. Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated. It's been a pleasure working with you on this.