Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2006 Kenworth T800 with a Cummins IS 450 engine.

I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 Kenworth T800 with a Cummins IS 450 engine. The speedometer and the engine tachometer are inoperable. Looking for some answers on where to do tests. Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

It's a large heavy duty truck. Has an Eaton 13 speed manual transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

2006 Kenworth T800

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. I have tried checking connections on back of tach and speedometer and also checked wiring

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing else. Thanks

Answered in 4 days by:
1/18/2018
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Do you still need assistance with this? I see it sat a few days while I was away and no one else grabbed it.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5 star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

I can't do a phone call right now so I will opt out for someone that can do one.

Thanks Jeremy
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Is it only those gauges not working? Are there any fault codes logged in the ECM memory and TCM if an autoshift?

Just the tach and speedometer Dan. I found someone had been into the wiring cause I had a vehicle speed sensor voltage faulty code. I think I got it fixed, but doing some other repairs so can't move the truck. Took my voltmeter to the tach with truck running. Set to a/c volts and voltage changes on acceleration and deceleration. Also have supply voltage and ground. Ordered a new tach. That sound right?? Thanks

Thanks for the update. Yes if you are getting tach signal at the gauge then I agree with that diagnosis. Let me know with the speed sensor wiring repair. You could always run a continuity check to confirm the wiring is not open to the sensor from the speedo.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

I already did a continuity test to the sensor on tail shaft of transmission. It was ok. Just don't know about the sensor itself yet. Should be able to ohm it and have continuity through the sensor right??

Thanks for the update. Yes, That is correct.

Click this link for the specs

Speed sensor specs

Thanks Dan!!!! I will test after a while and let you know

Pleasure to help

Daniel Wilson
Phone call session started
Dan, I am getting the new tach today. There are 6 dip switches on the rear of the tach. Could you possibly tell me where they need to be set or have any literature on how to properly set them? Thanks

What is the make and model of the gauge? So I far I only see and Ametek with 8 switches in my files.

It is a Ametek

Does it say what series? 700, 900, etc?

900 series. I did find a paper in the box. Looks like switch numbers 2, 3, 5, 6 need to be set on and rest off for my application.

There should be a formula/chart on that sheet... So it sounds like the settings are allset now.

That is great that it came with it as mine are for 8 and 10 switch tachs

Ok. Thanks Will try it here in a little bit

Sounds good

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson